1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Starting Out - Mower Selection

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mad_Russian776, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Mad_Russian776

Mad_Russian776 LawnSite Member

Any advice on what brand/type of mower to start out with. I will be focusing on doing only residential work this summer. I expect most of my yards to be 1/2 to 2 acres.

My concern is what size mower to start out with. I'm leaning towards a 36" Ferris. The difference in price between the 36" and the 48" is not much, so i'm wondering if going with the 36" is selling myself short.

My major reason for going with the 36" is the possible obstacle of getting through gates and such. In your opinion, will the increased productivity of a 48" outweigh the versatility of a 36"?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated on brand of mower or the like. Thanks a lot, this forum is great!
  2. maximus

maximus LawnSite Member

Im Starting out myself and looking for equipment. what i did find are a lot of companies such as hustler have 36" z-turn machines. Their a little priceier but you may be able to get back some productivty by not chasing down a walkbehind all day.
  3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I think the 36 would be great to start with. If you are on a budget I know a lot of people are happy with the quick 36 mower. Theres a lot of talk on mowers but IMO any commercial grade walk behind will get the job done. Some have more favorble controls than others. I would just demo as many different types as you can and go from there. Good luck with your purchase. I bought by 36" w/b used and it has been a great machine.
  4. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

god i love this site
  5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, i do too.
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

for now the 36" is a good choice, i bought the 44" and it doesn't fit through many of the gates, plus the trailer i had to buy had to be wider and cost about $400 more. you can always upgrade later.