Lawn Care Forum banner

Just starting out need advice

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Mightymowinc 
#1 ·
I am just starting out and a friend of mine has 2 mowers he will sell me for pretty cheap just so I can get my lawn care business started and before I post my 2 options I already know they are not top of the line commercial mowers but I cant afford anything else right now.. He says I can have my pick of his used JD LA145 with 80 hours on it or his Troy built Mustang ZTR zero turn with 110 hours on it for $1300... nothing wrong with either one of them, both look really good. my question is which one should i get and why? Here are the specs on the 2 mowers and thanks for any advice you can give.

Troy Built ZTR:

• Infinite-speed dual hydrostatic transmission with large 1" drive axle
• Extra-wide 50" triple-blade mowing deck
• 4 adjustable & greasable anti-scalp deck wheels for a smoother cut
• Electric power take-off (PTO) for fast & easy blade engagement
• Ground-following solid steel pivoting front axle
• Standard front axle grease fittings for long service life
• Fully welded steel frame
• 2-way adjustable lap bars provide near infinite positioning
• Comfortable high-back seat with dual suspension springs
• Large, greasable 13" front casters
• Standard rear bumper
• 25 HP Kohler Courage V-Twin engine

John Deere LA145:

# Cutting Width : 48 in
# Engine Displacement : 656 cm³
# Engine Make : Briggs and Stratton
# Engine Torque (Ft./Lb.) : 656
# Engine Type : Gas
# Fuel Tank Capacity : 4 gal (US)
# Horsepower (hp) : 22 hp
# Housing Material : Steel
# Mower Deck Width : 48 in
# Mulching Capability : Yes
# Number of Cylinders : 2
# Start Type : Electric
# Turning Radius : 18 in

See less See more
#2 ·
For 1300 bucks I think I would rather have a used 48" walk behind. If these are your only two options I would go with the Deere because of a personal grudge I have with buying a complete POS Troy Bilt 15 years ago. I will never ever ever support that crap.

500 bucks for a mower that didn't mow.

#4 ·
For 1300 bucks I think I would rather have a used 48" walk behind. If these are your only two options I would go with the Deere because of a personal grudge I have with buying a complete POS Troy Bilt 15 years ago. I will never ever ever support that crap.

500 bucks for a mower that didn't mow.
X2 plus its easier to get parts for John Deere than Troy Bilt.

#7 ·
I would pass on both of those and either keep saving up money or as was suggested get a used
commercial Wb because what you can't afford to do is buy junk that won't make it the season.

No argument that those mowers are fine for a homeowner's use, but at the rate
we mow lawns it probably won't last a week without breaking down.

#8 ·
I would pass on both of those and either keep saving up money or as was suggested get a used
commercial Wb because what you can't afford to do is buy junk that won't make it the season.

No argument that those mowers are fine for a homeowner's use, but at the rate
we mow lawns it probably won't last a week without breaking down.
He's right, one thing I've learned the hard way is you get what you pay for. Get you a used walk behind to start out. 1300$ will put you on a good used one.

#11 ·
I have a 52" Scag WB with a Sulky I will sell you for $1,500. I'm in Douglasville GA. 35 mi from Alabama State line on I-20. PM me if interested.

#12 ·
If you have another $1,500, I would go to a hustler dealer and get one of their residental units. You could get the 42" sport for $3000 brand new. Its got a briggs and straton engine, but for a little more you could get a honda engine. Hustler is much better than deere or troy bilt. They say the sport is built to the same standards as the commercial units. I have had it for 3 months and it works amazing.

#13 ·
$1300!? look on Craigslist and get a used Walk Behind. i got my 07 gravely 36" w/ 176 hrs for 1100. u can find a 48" for around that price probably too. i wouldnt get either. do urself the favor and save up a couple hundred more and u will find a nice mower. if u are absolutely stuck on this kids mower then go for the deere. but u could go on CL right now and find a good WB in ur area no doubt in my mind for 1300

#14 ·
If you have another $1,500, I would go to a hustler dealer and get one of their residental units. You could get the 42" sport for $3000 brand new. Its got a briggs and straton engine, but for a little more you could get a honda engine. Hustler is much better than deere or troy bilt. They say the sport is built to the same standards as the commercial units. I have had it for 3 months and it works amazing.
You can get a used Exmark Laser Z (60' deck) for $3000. When spending that kind of money, go commercial..

#16 ·
The Troy-Bilt Z and the Cub Z are basically the same unit with different paint and decals, both made by MTD.

The JD rider is not a real JD, probably made by AYP or MTD. A real JD will say "Made in Moline" and hold its value.

Probably the weakest point in all of the three you mentioned is the hydro trannies. They don't have a filter or drain plug, and you can't change the oil.

If your friend is a careful driver and takes good care of his truck, don't gun it out of the blocks, is a stickler for doing the maintenance on all his stuff, that tells you something. If he ain't, that tells you something too.

If you just have to have a rider you can't afford commercial. A Lazer for 3K is pretty hard to find, I never seen one.

You have to weigh everything, make your business decision, and hope for the best.

I went with the wb, new, belt drive, eXmark Metro 32. Very reliable. Got a heck of a deal on it -- I think because everyone wants a rider and it had been on the floor quite awhile. It was right for me, but not for everybody.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.