Just Starting Out, need some tips on equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RookieMower83, Oct 14, 2004.

1. RookieMower83

RookieMower83 LawnSite Member
    from CT

What's going on guys. I've been kicking around the idea of a lawn service business for a while and finally am about to do it! I already have a stihl 420c backpack, ear muffs, gloves, gas cans, and about to buy a scag swzu 17hp kaw hydo walk behind with sulky and grass catcher. I know i will be needing a trimmer, but i have my father's echo for now. I was wondering what other necessities I should acquire before starting up next season? Also, when do you usually starting the season (for those in the new england, specifically Connecticut area)?
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You left of the most important items. State, City & County Business License, State Sales Tax Number, Commerical Insurance, Applicators License if yu do treatments, and Federal Tax ID Number.

3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Good advice. MMLawn, but he'll only need a sales tax number if his state charges tax on lawn service or other service he offers; and the FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) is only necessary if he has employees. The exception to this is some like to establish separate cerdit for the business, and the FEIN can be used for this purpose. But it is an aggravating, painstaking process, because every creditor, especially banks, are going to require personal credit information and guarantees.

4. RookieMower83

from CT

I forgot to tell you guys that I knew about that paper work side of things, I am not starting the business until next season, I just wanted to get all the equipment that I would need so I could get all the paper work done early next year. Thank you for your replies though. I just wanted to know what other equipment I would need to start out with other than what I have and am getting. I also have an 85 dodge ram that I will be towing my trailer with, and may have a line on a mason dump possibly. Thanks for your help.
    Rick

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ya i all most paid for that today with my licence i sent for until the state said i did not need it that save me lots of cash

6. tlcny

tlcny LawnSite Member

i would first like to say that i am knew to this site and i am glade to see that pros are helping newbies in this biz first rookie u must find your nitch what part of this biz do u tend to work (com res lawn, pest, landscape, pondscape, ect) and the next before making a equ perchase u need customers not all will agree but what is the point of have a 61" mower if all u can use is a 36". no one here can give u advise on equ it is not that we dont know equ we are all experts on it but were not u .i will tell u this buy as u go and buy as much with cash as u can. try to stay clear from loans if u can. grow slow take advise from all these pros make friends with locale pros they will be your best sorse for work and help u learn the biding curve do not under cut to get a job the man u take will lose and so will u this cuts the bottom out of the market. last do not try to be the shinest guy on the block he is not as rich as u may think he just has big payments and when he looks down on u look at him and smile and ask him what bank he works for if u follow these u will do fine not all will agree but i speak fromexp i was that man once i have sense restructured shiny things fade but payments never go away i have more know then ive ever had and the best thing that i did not have was time work hard but enjoy life (ps next yr startes today so get going )

7. RookieMower83

from CT

Thanks man, that really helped me out. I was just wondering what you meant by next year starts today? I was thinking about doing some fall clean up but I do not have license, insurance, tax #, etc. I was thinking about starting to advertise this year for next. I didn't know if that was a good idea or not. Please get back to me on this.
    Thanks,
    Rick

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

tlcny, you have some good advice in there, but I'll tell ya, it was HARD to find in all that! ;-).
    I realize this is only an online forum and not a classroom, so perfect punctuation or spelling isn't needed, but it should be somewhat legible. Just a capital letter here and there at the beginning of a sentence, and maybe a few periods now and then would help.

But again, some nice solid advice in your post. Welcome to Lawnsite.

9. tlcny

tlcny LawnSite Member

I am a landscaper not a teacher im good at what i do and for a dumy like me i have awife for gramer but she was a sleep and is know so you will get more of the same sorry.I WILL TRY HARDER ps im also computer challenged give me a chain saw & a caculater $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..........just in case i mised a period or to lol

10. tlcny

tlcny LawnSite Member

Rookie no one can stop from working after all this is the land of the free. Getting a license to do biz is not hard and it dos not cast that much. when u get a dba u will get a tax # as far as ins that to dos not cast that much u are small just starting out get a small pal 250 or 500 thousand even 100 with an umbrela will do.spelling is off but i throw a ...in there just one im working on it. What i ment about starting is this the day you start thinking and planing to build a lawn care & landscape com u do not what till the next yr to start u are waisting time in biz there is no next yr there is today and tomorow every day is a dallar. yrs are for tax man there is no advatig in waiting. Plus all work for next yr is up for bid remember this work i can spell it ( BID ) RIGHT KNOW com (condos,com,banks,parks)so on for lawn mant. So get going beside the point do u thing any one else is waiting im not.There is $$$$$$$$ to be made way wait u have a truck a blower a tarp what more do u need. ohh hopfully customers. good luck.