Lawn Care Forum banner

just starting out this coming season

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gpservices 
#1 ·
not sure what kind of mower to buy, including maker, walk/stand behind, zero turn, how much I should expect to pay...any advise would be awesome, thanks.

#3 ·
Also you're going to want to know nearby dealers if you're planning to purchase new. If you're buying used you want to be able to bring it somewhere it can be serviced without going to far and paying to much if you can't do it yourself. Just something to think about.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, all. I have plenty of experience, I'm just changing careers after being laid off last April and not being able to replace that income. Starting with residential, but i have the opportunity to get into some commercial work as well. If you had to start with one mower that would get you thru both, not too big not too small, which would you choose? I'm budgeting $4k.

#6 ·
You'd be pressed to find a used ztr without lots of hours at that price. Id look at a nice used stander or walk-behind...

Some companies are offering some pretty awesome financing depending on your situation.

#7 ·
Prophet, If your just starting out and not expecting a lot of wear and tear such as extremely bumpy or hilly lawns, you might want to check out the Toro Time Cutter zero turn for about $2800. That is if your lawns require a bigger mower. Otherwise, I would recommend a few different types of walk behinds such as the Exmark, or the Husqvarna.

Make sure it will fit in a back yard though

#10 ·
I used to work part time at a Toro dealer.... sorry to say I'd never recommend toro's residential series mower for a commercial application. I'd run a commercial walk behind before those.
It all depends ont he commercial property. If your mowing a 2 acre commercial property, it's no different than a 2 acre residential. If your trying to cut a 30 acres apartment or condo complex, the Toro Timecutter is probably not the recommended mower for that job.

#11 ·
I dont think a 21" will cut it in this industry unless you are just doing like 1/4acre lots otherwise you will never mow fast enough to be profitable. Id say for first year invesment a solid used 48" walk behind like a scag, toro, or jd or lesco With a kawasaki or kohler motor would suit you well, maybe get a sulky to speed things up, thats not a huge investment incase it doesnt work out and then you would just have a nice mower for your own yard but hopefully that wont happen, good luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.