Just starting out... what size enclosed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zz4guy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

What size is a good enclosed trailer size for somebody just starting out? I've got a 48" ZTR Woods, 36" hydro w/b, 22" w/b and various other stuff.
    I have a Chevy 2500 so weight is not a problem, but don't want to get some behemoth trailer I don't need.

Thanks guys

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

12 or 14 ft would be fine for that setup. Make shore you get one wide enough to put racks on and still walk.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt get anything smaller than a 7'x16' I have 14footer and with my 32"wb and a 38"ZTR it gets cramped. leave some room to grow into!

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

No smaller than a 7x16......it may be bigger than you need but i promise if you go with "what will work for now" you will regret it

16 footers are almost the "standard"

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I must concur. I would not go with anything smaller then a 7x16. You will soon find that a 7x16 will even feel to small after awhile.

6. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the input. I've been shopping around for a 16'. Seems like that size is the way to go.

What price can I expect to find a 16' used trailer for? Is it worth buying a new one? I stopped in at a Pace dealer today and they wanted $5600 for a new 16' Pace. Isn't that a little high?

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I imagine that prices are different all over, but I can give you an idea of what we paid this past year. We bought a 7x16 enclosed with two sets of trimmer racks including sales tax I think it was around $5,500 to $5,600 new. If you can get a trailer that is in good shape a year or two old I would say go for it. I personally do not think that it is the highest priority to have a brand new trailer as long as it is in good shape.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'm glad to see that you are looking at a 16' er. I have a 16' open trailer and bought it my first year in biz. Now that I'm growing I am at the limit of what my trailer can hold. With 2 60 lazers with baggers on the trailer I have no room for my 36" wb. (I hate wb's anyways) Now I wish I had a 20" trailer. Make sure you dont plan on getting to big in the nest year or 2 where you will find yourself wishing you had bigger.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

better then gaining extra space!!

i would say no more than $5,000 for a new 16'.........keep shopping, check ebay for dealers, yellow pages.....random searches through yahoo and google.....you'll find it

mine was $4400 7x16, v nose, undercoated and treated........American Hauler