Just starting out.....what size mower 36" or 48" walk?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by daves306, Dec 13, 2011.

1. daves306

daves306 LawnSite Member

I am in the beginning phases of going out on my own. Most of my accounts will be smaller to mid size residential lots. I will most likely be dealing with gates, tight spaces etc... but at the same time I know time is money. Just looking for some experienced input? Thanks

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

36. With a mulch plate it should fit through a common 36" gate. The samll time savings of a 48" will be offset by having to use a 21 in the backyards. Plus a 36 and 21 easily fit on cheap 5ft wide trailers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. daves306

daves306 LawnSite Member

Thanks Patriot. I am thinking a Qwikchute would be perfect for the bigger walk. What do you like for a heavy duty 21"?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly don't waste money on "commercial" 21's. I have used Toros, Lawnboys even Craftsmen over the years. Never paid more than 300 and got years of use from them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Yup, totally agree. A 32/36 will take care of the common yard and be able to get in 99% of backs plus is cheaper than a 48".
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah a 36 should be good for you. As far as a 21 the new lawnboy's are junk a honda Model # HRS216SDA form homedepot is good for the money and at only 389.99 is a great mower.Thumbs Up

7. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i would go with a 36" mower. a 48 i think would be a little over kill if your doing any houses with fences, might sit more than it works.

8. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

All 36's are not created equal, if in fact you do have 36 in gates measure your machine of choice - mine is a perfect 36 :cool2: