Just starting out....With 700 signed customers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Mar 6, 2005.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres the deal this guy called me and explained that he is a new company and will only be doing fert and weed applications. He worked for a franchise company, All Green. I went to his shop and he explained that All Green sold to TGCL at the end of last year and these guys managed to talk a lot, 700 of the 2000+ customer base in signing with them and there new company. Now he basically wants me to refer fert and weed to them, and they will send mowing to me. Long story short I'm not sending them any work because I think they are stating out way to big. They both have a great deal of time in doing the work so they do know what thier doing, but niether has any expierence running a company. All they have is 1 ride on spreader, and 2 push spreaders, and I'm not sure if he's going to have a spray tank but it did sound like they have one on the way if I remember right. In addition to this large customer base there service area is huge they go as far as an hour out of town. I think it's going to flop, and they have no means of hiring this year because they think no one can do a good job. I dont do fert or weed so I dont know what kind of time is involved per job, maybe they can handle it but 700 customers sound like a lot for 2 guys.

2. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

700 hundred is alot for people who have never owned a company expecially with out the proper equipment. As far as doing that many customers with the right equipment it is possible. I worked for TGCL for about a month to get a feel for the how it all works and those guys did 20-30 lawns a day solo. Could be done with the rigt stuff.

3. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

It could work. They're doing fert apps. It's not like weekly cuts.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Number of accounts isn't as critical as square footage of these properties. I'm pretty sure All-Green is from Waukesha. We used to do the body work for them when I worked at a shop in their area. If a lot of the properties are local, they could EACH do 25 a day. No big deal. A lot of small lots around the area. I'm sure they have larger properties as well.

100 properties per week, by two guys, is only ten properties for each man to get done during the day. Product control is usually rated at 6-8 weeks between applications on average. So if you took the seven weeks between each application, there is plenty of time to handle them and do a good job. Now I understand spring is always tough with wet weather, but they can always work the weekend if need be.

I would at least entertain their proposal to you. See how a few jobs or referrals go. You could be passing up a decent opportunity. It's always tough making a decision like this when you don't know the people doing the work and/or they're new and have no history.

I'd be more concerned about their attitude that nobody else can do good work. There are plenty of good applicators out there. Time will tell I guess.

5. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

Do only on a limited basis so you don't get burned bad.Tell em you have too much
    on the ball to take too much on just now.If it works out,go :waving: for all of it!

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I would do it. It sounds like they have the potential to send a lot more work your way, then you do theirs.
    And if you don't refer to them, what's to say that whoever else you refer them to is going to do any better? There's a risk now matter what.

Keep us posted.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I say go for it. Basically have an understand that you want to trade work. If you don't jump on the ship now, someone else will

8. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

700 Fert & Squirt customers with two guys can easily be done if the lawns average under an acre. One guy on a Perma-Green Ride On can easily do well over 300,000 sq ft. per day on larger lawns if they are close together. Even if these guys are doing little 5,000 sq ft lawns manually all day they can easily get them done each round.
    15 years ago I worked for a company were my daily quota was 32 lawns or 200,000 sq ft. whichever came first. I had 1200 customers on my route. When I had a helper I could get all 1200 of them done in 7 weeks. My average size lawn was 6,000 sq ft.

9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I guess I have been proven wrong and I will re evaluate this proposal. I guess I was thinking more along how long it takes me to mow a lawn. Now I know an app takes less time but that number they told me sounded pretty big. Another thing I didnt consider is they have a few months to do 700 customers wheras I only 7 days to do all mine. I'll give these guys a chance with some good trusted customers and let them know these guys are new and I'm trying to help generate some business for them. I'll let everyone know how these guys do, they have the potential to do well with thier customer base and expeirence, just hope they can handle it all, if it were I dont think I could sleep at night :dizzy:

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Like I said give them a chance. I know what you mean with the 700 customers. Seems like a lot, until I think about how long it takes me to fertilize customers. I can usually fertilize about 40 customers in a day, based on 15 mins each customer. So if we were going by my stats they could do the 700 customers in 17 1/2 days. That is of course basing it on stats of just myself doing the work