just starting out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodbuster, Feb 12, 2001.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster LawnSite Member

dear anybody please help: new in the business how does a person go about getting some business? how many lawns should i take on? what is the best type of mower to start out with?

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite.com sodbuster!!! There are many questions similar to yours that have been already answered in previous threads. To search for answers such as these use the search function that is located at the top right of the page or on the bottom. If the previous threads can't answer any specific questions you have feel free to post them as a beginning thread. Hope this helps...GOOD LUCK

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey sodbuster. Welcome to the forum! I just started out this year too and there are a couple things I learned. One is that you should never sell yourself short. Being a cheap lowballer doesn't get you business. For advertising and getting your name out there, flyers seem to work, business cards, maybe the radio station if you have a small town, Yellow page listings and there's also just plain 'ol word of mouth. If you're new to the biz you might want to start small. If you have a full time job and are mowing on the side, you might want to start at maybe 10-20 depending on how much time you have work with. If you want to go full time mowing, go as big as you think you can handle. maybe 20-30 but if you don't think you can handle anymore, don't take anymore. As far as mowers go, if you take on maybe 10-20 lawns maybe a 48" to 52" walkbehind, maybe a ZTR if you're really time pressed. You'll need all the necessary power equipment as well. Good luck! :)

4. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

You've been taught well scag48...Welcome to the forum sodbuster...The lowballing is a great piece of advice..Lowballers hurt us all...If you do a good job and are reliable, the work will come..As far as advertising, just try several different things...Stick with what works for you...Derrick