Just Starting Out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turf-R-Us, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Turf-R-Us

Turf-R-Us LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Hello, first time post from a newbie:

I'm insterested in starting a one-man, part-time lawncare bus. I've decided to start with residential and small commercial, and I've been trying to decide on a first mower. I have a couple of residential 21" WB's, but that won't cut it for reaching the production levels I hope to achieve. I can only invest about 12-15 hours per week in this venture, and I'm not looking to expand past a one-man operation.

Looking for equipment suggestions. I've looked at several WB's and ZTR's from Exmark, Ferris, Snapper, Hustler, Gravely, Country Clipper, etc. but like the Hustler Fastback 18/44" for the price. I know its not a full-on com'l machine, but it looks to be good quality and seems like it might hold up well to the 350 hours of expected annual usage. I've also looked hard at the Wright Stander (I see alot of these), which will likely cost me another $500-$1000 extra. Other ZTR's cost even more.

Recommendations? Any one use the Fastback in light duty commercial? Anyone seen over 1,000 hours use from one of these units?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What type and size of properties do you want to work on?

3. Turf-R-Us

Turf-R-Us LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Mostly residential and small commercial, 1/4 to 1.5 acres.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

That's a pretty big jump...~10k to 60k feet. Not sure if you can get just one mower that will be ideal for those sizes and in between. More than likely the 1/4 acre properties will have 36" gates on there fences so fitting most ZTR's that will be effective on the 1/5 acre will be out of the question. You could get by with a 32/36" mower but they wouldn't be best for the 1.5 acre lots.

Any way to narrow your lot sizes so you can get away with only one mower...or perhaps a commercial mower and a 'non-commercial' 21"???