Just starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AJ'sLawnCare, Jun 12, 2006.

1. AJ'sLawnCare

AJ'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

hey guys, im 17, live in Cedar Falls, Iowa and i just started my lawn care buisness about a month and a half ago. a friend directed me to this site and I figured i'd give it a try. if you have any pointers they'd be greatly appreciated

2. Fowen22

Fowen22 LawnSite Member

Get out as soon as u can!!:hammerhead:

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Put out lots of door hangers and business cards. Just because you are starting late doesn't mean you can't a couple lawns. People are always changing lcos or deciding they don't fell like mowing their own yard anymore. Get insurance and a business certificate. What equipment will you be using?

4. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

one thing i would say at 17 your probably still in high school don't dedicate your life to your job do your best at school and don't drop your friends either you need some good time to relax without sitting home alone but my biggest piece of advice is don't buy stuff you don't need reason i say that is if your only mowing a half dozen lawns you probably don't need to pay 8-10grand for a ztr a simple push mower can work(also varys on size of lawn) also wait till you turn 18 to really expand because at 17 you can't have insurance or license and can't do any landscaping or fertilizing. do the best work you can and people will hear about you and call you and best of luck on starting out

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to focus on lawns and fall cleanups. I am just starting now as well and im a little worried about its only june!

Cheers and goodluck.

Jeff

6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Forgot about that.

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Use the search feature for specific questions you have A.J. theres a wealth of information here. seems like every new guy has to take his butt kickin his first post or two. i stirred up a s**t storm of epic proportions with my first post. theres an excellent post by AllClear as far as fiqureing your cost of doing business. try to get some input from people in your area on pricing, which is a very regional thing. DON'T LOWBALL, a lawn is worth what its worth, whether your new or an oldtimer. good luck.

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

get out of the biz quick....jp

get your name out there....dont buy anything you can not afford....dont do a job if the money isnt worth it to you...if you will only need somehting once rent it dont buy it...save more than u spend...dont low ball...as long as you do a good job youll be fine...good luck i hope everything works out for you...

oh yeah and dont figure b.c you have a biz you dont need an education after high school...take night classes ro soemthing you cant ever learn enough no matter what its in

9. AJ'sLawnCare

AJ'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

i know im starting out late, but at least i gotta start. i charge about $35/hr, the only thing i have right now is a lawn-boy self propelled 21" push...my trimmer just broke down on me. i currently have 4 lawns i do regularly and i get calls here and there to go do a lawn once...this winter im going big on advertising to get the name out there, im going to get a trailer and riding mower as soon as i can afford it because half the lawns i do are pretty good sized...thanks for the pointers guys

10. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Are you saying someone with 20yrs experience and a reputation should charge the same for a lawn that a 12 yo should with daddys 21" murray?

You are new in the business your costs are probably lower than most of the competition and you may have less experience so go ahead and charge less if you can still make money.