Just starting out!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Incretable, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Incretable

Incretable LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in the Orlando, FL area & wanted to figure out what is the best size/style mower to use for residential homes? I'm considering doing basic landscape maintenance & concrete curbing. What's your thoughts?

2. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

what size are these residentials

3. Incretable

We're talking about your typical sub-division homes w/a few corner lots. 50x100, I guess. A few 150ft deep yards (oversize lots). Thanks for your input, btw.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If your just starting out I would think a 36" or a 48" will work for you. If the yards are that small you will not want a big mower. JMO:waving:

Welcome to Lawnsite!!!!!!

5. Incretable

Any specific brands you guys recommend? Thanks for the welcome guy!

6. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Do you want a Walk Behind or ZTR?

7. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

The good thing here in central Fl is you can get any brand you want. There are just that many dealers. It gets really hot and most Gates are 48" wide. I have a JD 48" and am thinking of going to the Hustler mini Z in either 36" or 42". If you get a WB, make sure you get the Sulky. Like I said, the heat will kill you! Where are you located? I am about 20 miles north of Orlando.

8. Incretable

I'm in the Altamonte/Apopka area. I like the ztr's, but whichever's better would work for me. I'm open. About the heat?!?! Tell me about it. I might have to get me a canopy-type hat! I noticed that the competition is pretty deep out here. It seems like everyone has a trailer & equipment. The market seems saturated, so I'm carefully considering tapping into it. Did someone mention the heat?!? Now we're dealing with the rain.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

how much do you want to spend $$ wise?