Just starting out...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jonathan K., Jul 12, 2006.

1. Jonathan K.

Jonathan K. LawnSite Member

My name is Jonathan and I'm thirteen years old. Recently, I have been thinking of starting a small lawn business. My questions are...

- How should I advertiste?

- How much should I charge? I see some of you on these boards charging $30+ per lot. My mom pays me $10 for the front yard. Should I charge per minute, maybe?

- Just anything else you would recommend for a beginner...

Thanks, guys!

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Start with your push mower and weed eater then save up while you have no bills to pay. By the time you get older you should have plenty of money if you charge the right price to get commercial equipment. Don't forget to do the best job you can it helps tremendously.

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I don't know how you are going to get your equipment to a job since you can't drive. If you have nobody to pull your stuff, then I would only advertise by leaving flyers around your neighborhood. Don't put ads in the paper or people all across town will be calling to find out you can't service them since you have no way to get equipment there.

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Jonathan get your parents to help you.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Charge more than $10.
    I put out a bunch of flyers and pulled the mower behind my bike- (this was 30 years ago)
    If there are enough lots with in walking distance of your house talk to the people and let them know what you want to do. And drop flyers on their door step (NOT IN THE MAIL BOX)
    Ask Mom and Dad to talk to their friends.
    Do you own the mower or is it Dads. Get his permission:)

6. Jonathan K.

It's my mom's.. my parents are divorced. She'll let me use it and she'll drive me places within a few minutes of my house. Transportation isn't an issue.

So about how much should I charge? Like... by the minute?

7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Charge by the minute? You asked that twice. ;)

Are you pulling our collective leg here :nono:

:hammerhead:

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Charge between 25 and 35 depending on the size, maybe more , maybe less

9. Jonathan K.

DuraCutter, I'm not trying to pull anyone's leg, it's just that no one answered...

10. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I agree with PMLAWN... Just dont be taken advantage of becuase you are young. Trust me pepole have tried to do that to me