1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigbone, Jul 19, 2006.

1. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I stumbled onto this website and I am very impressed. I am starting a mowing business in central Kansas and I used my retirement money from my previous job to buy all my equipment. I just bought a Hustler Fastrack 18/52 and I am really psyched to get started. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to LS and congrats on starting up.

That's all I can say is research and read until your eyes start to bleed (then clean your eyes, and keep reading!)

There is so much valuable info on this site. It's tremendous how much information and the opinions and advice of everyone really help my business. Good luck to you.
  3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to lawn site.

Yes all this information is here so just use the search feature while you are waiting for any questions answered, some people get upset when they are new and their questions arn't being answered fast enough, but the answers are on here 24/7. :)

All the best for the future.:usflag:
  4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember to have an open mind about things everyones here to help,welcome to L.S.
  5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to L.S. :waving: Nice Mower Bro. Good Luck !!
  6. Spanky64

Spanky64 LawnSite Member

I live in South West Kansas, by Garden City. I have a son that lives in Newton. LawnSite is a very valuable resource.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you wasted alot of money on the fastrack, its junk and if you have more then a couple of lawns, it wont last through a season....

dont waste money on homeowner equipment... buy commercial or not at all,

get insured and licensed and what ever it takes to be a legal business in your state...

good luck.....

before you make a major purchase, come here and ask or do a search, you will find others here have purchased that machine and it does not hold up to the hard work of a busy lawn care company...

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you don't mind going back to work should your business fail, over half of all new ventures never make it.
    It is recommended you use spare cash, in other words, savings on top of your usual.
    Then again, at least you know how to save, a lot more folks take out loans which is really dumb.

I think so long you continue to practice the skill of saving, you stand a chance.
  9. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

From what I have read on this site, the Fastrack has gotten good reviews. It's not like I will be mowing 6-7 lawns a day with this. Once my business grows I will step up to the Mini Z but right now I cant afford it. Seems like the Fastrack is the best residential mower that has the most commercial qualities. I see some LCOs using a cheap residential Dixon or Cub Cadet to mow with so at least I am not using something like that. If I start having alot of problems with the Fastrack I will certainly let everyone know.
  10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

+1 to that. This site has helped me, a lot.