just starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jrwatts, Sep 16, 2006.

1. jrwatts

jrwatts LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Im just starting out in the lawn maintence buisness, im 18 years old.
    I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer, bobcat walk behind, two echo weedeaters, echo backpack blower. thats about it for now.. I had a couple questions about business licenses and such.. I currently have 2 yards, and working on a few more.

How do I go about registering my buisness in the state of florida, it would be a good idea to register my buisness after only having 2 or three yards, or should I wait awhile. What about taxes? Do i register the buisness as a incorporation or just a Fictitious Name? How do i go about doing all of that? Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a lawyer...they can tell you for a nominal fee of course.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Odds are, you will need at least one business license in one city. Every city likes you to have their license, but it never quite works out that way.

Doubt that you need a state license if you are not installing and just mowing.

Some people like to incorporate, but many folks start as a sole proprietor under an assumed business name.

Call your state government about the name, they will direct you to the office you need. I doubt that it's very expensive.

4. jbpo

jbpo LawnSite Member

go to the main tax collector's office in your county for your license. check out www.sunbiz.org for information on registering with the state. You will find information there on fictitious names, corporations, etc. Use the drop down menu. hope this helps and best of luck to ya.

5. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Look into the Small Business Administration, they are very helpful with so many things.