1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SickSymptoms, Oct 13, 2006.

1. SickSymptoms

SickSymptoms LawnSite Member
    from NH

Hey guys
    me and a very good friend work together now for a landscaping bussiness and have been for the past 5 years now we have tought of going on our own next season we just went to our local exmark dealer and looked at mowers the two we are looking at are the exmark turf tracer hp 60, exmark 56 lazer z hp , wat is peoples options on them machines and also we were goin to wait until next year to get the machines but rite now exmark is doin a specail were there is no payments or interest for one year so were thinking about gettin them tomm. and and sugestions about any equipment is awesome and have a great day :walking:
  2. SickSymptoms

from NH

and also what do you think about our name Green Monster Mowing
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Like "Green Monster", don't like "Mowing". Maybe drop the mowing part and just go by Green Monster. Green Monster, Inc. even sounds cool if you wanted to go that route. Yeah, the more I see it and think about, "Green Monster" is one of the better names I have seen. But I like the kind of "off the wall" stuff....can't tell it by my name though....Shields Lawn Care.:rolleyes:
  4. SickSymptoms

from NH

ya i tend to like the name alot

my home team is the Boston Redsox and in left field there is a wall they call the green monster thats were the name came from
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There was someone else on here with green monster mowing. I haven't seen him around in awhile, though. If you are brealing off on your own next year; do exactly that...working phrase; ON YOUR OWN. Do yourself and your very good friend a favor...stay seperate. There is NO reason why you can't both be in business, be friends, and even work together as sort of a networking....but do NOT go in to business together. Do it seperately. In the first place, if you are both looking at mowers and stuff, what would you possibly have to gain by being together? The ability to cut the places twice as fast? Let's Think about it...Do the math. Whatever you can do - divided by two, is just that. What about bigger places? You can do some good sized places, anyway. And let's face it, the bigger the places, the more they are pro-rated, so the only advantage there is not price, but the ability to get in and out faster to make UP for the price. Like I say,...I would re-figure the whole thing. Anyone with "partnership" experience will tell you. An old college teacher I had for one of my business classes told us straight out..Lesson 1. Partnerships SUCK.
  6. djsp24

djsp24 LawnSite Member

I agree, Partnerships are hard to manage and make the best of friends bitter. My experiences with all sorts of business find they JUST DONT WORK. I would reccomend both of you work for the same Corporation of green monster under your own DBA and do it that way if you REALLY needed too. I would ALSO highly reccomend putting together a business plan before anything else! thats my two cents!
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, the Turf Tracer HP doesn't have the option of a 60" deck. Perhaps you meant the Turf Tracer.

Don't go into business with a partner. My partner would be dead right now if he weren't my brother.