1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Starting Out!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ShoreLawnMaintenance, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ShoreLawnMaintenance

ShoreLawnMaintenance LawnSite Member

I just started a lawn maintenance business and I have a couple of questions. Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction. I have put a add in the local newspaper and have only recieved one call so far, and the ad has been displayed for about a week now. It is only March 8th and I'm thinking it is a bit earlier to expect a great deal of responses. But the weather is starting to warm up, and the season will be here before I know it. I was just wondering if any one has good ideas for marketing and start up ads that might give potential accounts incentive to call. Thanks in advance.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Make a flyer and go door to door with it or attach to the mailboxes....
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

well ive had my add in the paper and have got 0 calls. so really the paper isnt the best. dont expect alot out of it. door hangers or flyers are the best, then word of mouth after you get the customers.
  4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

It's still too early, most people arn't thinking about their yards yet even with the change in weather.

From my past experience you can market all year long but people generally arn't going to call until they actually need the service.

Just keep marketing and as we get closer to the start of the season the calls will start coming in.
  5. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i've actually gotten good response from a FREE ad on craigslist.....gotten 5 customers from it already this season...3 of those contract clients....i also walked my happy @$$ up and down a lot of streets....
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I just started my ad in local paper and ran it for a month so it will run until first week of April. Its just a little early for people to start thinking about lawncare in your area. I seen where its only in the high 20s where your at.
  7. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna start passin my flyers out this weekend. It's supposed to be in the 50's and partly cloudy but no rain except at night which wouldn't stop me anyway. Last night my girlfriend came home from work and told me that her client's parents (who just happened to live in a very affluent neighborhood) haven't heard from their Landscaper yet. Looks like some guys around here are slackin. The early bird gets the worm. Wish me luck:)
  8. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

Try the train stations by you - I live in Keyport. Matawan and Middletown train stations have bulletin boards you can put ads up on.
    I put tear stip ads in all the supermarkets that allow the same. The Quick check by me has a info board and got me quite a few customers. The only thing that sucks is you have to fight for space a and keep an eye on your ads. - people put stuff on top of them or pull them off . ( I always blame it on the competition) I paid $40 to have my business card printed on place mats at a local diner. And check car washes - I figure people who dont wash a car dont want to mow a lawn. Someone else mentioned craigs list - which you can post free. I've only been in the business for 3 years but there's already a pattern - things seem quiet and when the weather turns in Jersey sometime in April the phone starts ringing for estimates. It takes time away from my golfing - Ha Ha ! Anyway - good luck.
  9. thes

thes LawnSite Member

I'm a few towns north of you SLM....it's a bit early for people to be thinking about lawn care...especially after our little bout of snow yesterday.:dizzy:

I have found that the Coast Star is a good paper to put "business card" sized ads in....also, throw some business cards in local food stores on their bulletin boards. I have gotten most of my customers this way.:)
    Don't waste your money on Money Mailer or ValPak...been there, done that! ugh! That was $800 down the drain. I think I got 2 customers that way.:cry:

Word of mouth is the best way....get your family & friends to talk you up!:)

Good luck....see you around.:waving:
  10. ShoreLawnMaintenance

ShoreLawnMaintenance LawnSite Member

Thanks for your responses I look forward to trying them out in the near future. Thanks again.