1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just starting out !!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by B&E, Apr 2, 2007.

1. B&E

B&E LawnSite Member

What do all you guys do about the sun and burning the grass? I'm trying to figure out if you route the trucks around the sun. I mean do you sent the truck to the properties in accordance to the sunlight on the property. I don't want to have customers unhappy with their service due to the lawns being burnt up by the sun. Or is it nap time for the guys between lets say noon and two in the afternoon LOL
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is actually not a thing that happens, grass that is wet in the blazing sun does not burn. Over application of chemicals does though.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Canada.....is there actually a sun up there....?
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Funny that this was brought up. I never bothered to worry much about it but this is one of those urban legends...

wet grass in direct sunlight is like having millions of tiny magnifying glasses increasing the suns rays... like burning bugs when you were a kid...rofl
  5. B&E

B&E LawnSite Member

ok now I'm confussed, I don't understand.... Dose the sun burn the grass or not. I always thought that wet grass will burn extreamly fast, and dry grass will burn, just not as fast.

And YES here in Canada we do get some sun. Normally June 5th and 6th only, the rest of the time it snows.... LOL
  6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

you might have heard people say dont water in the day it will burn your lawn. i think its based more onthe fact it will cause lawns to get mold adn other problems that will kill it. 7am, start your mower, cut all day until you have no more work. dont worry about grass burnign.
  7. B&E

B&E LawnSite Member

OMG you guys start at 7am... I wish we were able to start that early... City bylaw says no noise until 8am... If we could start at 7 that would be another 4 customers.