just starting out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coreyb, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

This is going to be my first season. I am lining up my commercial and residential accounts and decided to hire someone. Being that I am a small operator, how do I determine how much someone is worth? How much can a "helper" increase my productivity? What is a good hourly wage that will attract the right person and make them stay? thanks - coreyb

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Coreyb;Welcome to lawnsite.You may want to get your accounts lined up first before you hire another worker.You need to make sure you can cover the additional expenses.

3. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

For time saved if you think about how long it takes to edge and trim your yard, then that should be the average time save per lawn this assuming its a 2 man crew where 1 is mowing and the other is trimming. If i had to guess I would say 15 minutes a lawn of saved time with a helper.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't follow how you got this figure. No where is any total amount of time mentioned. If you have a well trained helper, it should cut your mowing time in half.

5. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

I would make sure that you have enough work to keep you busy before you hire anybody. If you doing this full time you will need line up a number of good and dependable accounts to keep things going. Take your overhead into account and other liabilites.Start slow and get some good accounts and throw as much as you can back into the business for growth. Be the best at what you do and people will notice.Good luck Cory.:blob2:

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Being as you are just staring out, to me it would make sense that you should do all the work yourself to start with, unless you have a huge amount of customers. If you are just starting out you may not have enough work to pay someone full-time. There is a lot stress trying to get the business going when you work alone, but stress triples when you have to worry about an employee. I have been on my own for 3 years, working by myself. I have 15 regular lawn maintenance accouts and 25 landscaping/property management acccounts.

7. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

bob, he had asked about increased productivity which in my mind is saved time. The 15 minutes was assuming his lawns will take 30 minutes by himself, so I guess you are agreeing with me when you say it will save him half the time.