Just Starting Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Works 1, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Lawn Works 1

Lawn Works 1 LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I have just subscribed to this lawn site but I have been reading threads on here every night since another LCO told me about it. I am just starting out with my new bussiness. I am 18 but I have been mowing semi- commercially on and off since I was 13. I am just looking for pointers to help me start out. I have ordered postcard size flyers to pass ou when I go door to door since this seems t be the best way to get your name out there. I plan to offer a 5% discount on referals. Here is a list of my planned expenses.

Truck (94 Dodge 1500 5.2L)
    Mower 1 (Great Dane Scampe HG 17Hp/52")
    Mower 2 (Great Dane Super Surfer 22Hp/ 52")
    Push Mower (?????)
    Weedeater *2 (Echo srm- 2100)
    Striping Kit ( Big League Lawns LLC)
    Backpack Blower (Echo PB-602)
    Electric trailer Brakes (already have 16' tandem ax. trailer)
    Weedeater racks (Trimmer Trap TT-2)
    Advertising Biz Cards & Truch Magnets)
    Groundskeeper Pro

Is there anything here that you think I will or wont need???
    I hope to get between 50 and 80 accounts.
    Thanks For the help
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

First I want to commend you for doing at least a little research before posting.

It looks like you have it pretty well worked out so far.
    I'm curious about the mowers. Are these something you already have?
    I assume you're planning on a helper (to run the 2nd 52" mower)?.
    As far as the magnetic signs, you may want to look into vinyl lettering. It looks more proffessional because it
    looks more perminent and the cost difference isn't all that big.

Good luck!
  3. Lawn Works 1

Thanks gogetter.
    Yes, I have done a lot of research into the bussiness but I also already knew a lot about the equpiment I needed from past experience. Like I said my buddy and I started mowing when we were about 13 mowing about 25 to 30 yards a week. Of course we coulnt drive so we had our parents drivin us all over town every day to get our work done. I think it drove them nuts. Yes I am planning on a second person for the other mower. And no I dont have those mowers inmy possesion yet but the local dealer has them on hold for me, so when ever I am ready to go pick them up I can.
  4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like you're on a successful mission, Keep your train of thought like it is now, and you should do Good ! :cool:

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Lawn Works 1, you remind me of myself. I started my own business when I was 14, in the trunk of my mother's car. As everyone has stated, keep your train of thought that you have now. I commend you on your research. You will find that by doing research, you WILL get the best for your money and have the best machines on the market. Keep your head up... it's a tough business, but with your attitude you can and will succeed!

Your equipment list looks OK. If you like the Danes, I personally would check out Wright Standers though. Just an opinion. And also see what the difference in price of the PB602 & the PB650 are. If not much, the 650 is a much more powerful blower. You also had ??? next to the push mower. Do you have backyards you will need to fit into? Also, what about an edger? Other than those, I would have to say good game plan. I wish you the best of luck, and feel free to ask any questions.
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like your on the right track already. There areonly 2 things I would suggest to you, First is if possible stay solo as long as possible. IMHO no employee will do as good of a job as the owner of the company and your equipment will stay in better shape. Second is try not to LOW BALL. I would try and find out what the prices are for lawns in your area and keep in the same price range. Just my 2cents worth!
  7. Lawn Works 1

Thanks Jusmowin. 2 cents is a lot of help when you're starting out. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again for everyones advice.
  8. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I carry one of those split stick edgers too. the one's that you can take off the edger and put the weed whacker on. I carry this as a backup so that if the solid stick edger or weed whacker die on me I have the split one to work with. It has happened to and i'm glad I had it. Also a good medical kit. I have had to use this a few times too. Door hangers are a good way to just drop off an advertisement with a tear away business card on the bottom.

Just some idea's. Hope it helps.

9. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

equiptment looks good except for the truck trailer combo. i would try to stay away from a 16ft trailer with a 1500. it just might have trouble with weight and stoping. i would try to get at least a 2500 and look into getting it converted into a pick up dump a friend of mine got it done fully installed for only $2,000 or you can buy the kit for $800 and it has every thing you need
  10. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

we sounds very similar as well man. Good luck this year, but you may have to underbid a place or two in order to win out the "big picture" ie win one in an area with lots of work, and use them to reference you all around