1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

just starting please help.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by armajedon, Feb 18, 2006.

1. armajedon

armajedon LawnSite Member

I am hoping for some advice and some tips from some more experianced guys. I would like to get started in the lawn mowing business this year. I have a 42" cut zero turn Country Clipper w/ a 17hp Kohler Command on it and a 36" Snapper walk behind zero turn w/ a 15hp Kohler command on it. I have a 12' land scape trailer and Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 truck. I have a Stihl FS46 weed eater. Please help me put all this equipment to use. I am only 20 years old (turn 21 on 3-19) but I have a solid work ethic, and I am great w/ people.
    What I need to know from you guys is how to pick up clients annd when? It is 2-18-06 right now how soon should I be looking for lawns? Spring is just five weeks away. What about insurance and things like that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

Check page 2 of this forum. If you use the search engine on Lawnsite, you'll find that nearly every question you can think of has been asked and answered. Everyone will say it again and again, though.

Some really important things are these:
    write up a simple business plan of what you want to do
    get business insurance
    check with your state about collecting and paying sales tax
    don't try to win the world right away
    work hard but don't work cheap---charge enough to be profitable
    don't go deep into debt, buy better equipment as you can afford it
    check out advice on Lawnsite frequently, but don't take people too seriously,
    there are a lot of good-natured jokers and also a lot of goofballs

Best Wishes