Just starting problem account

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by crc13, Jul 12, 2006.

1. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

I am jsut starting in the business and have a client who's lawn is horrible. It is uneven, and cracks all over the place. Bare spots too. Should I aerate this and overseed it? It is a new lawn that the builder planted and did nothing with. Thanks.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What does the client want and what are they willing to pay for. where are you located. (cracks) meaning dried out ground??
    July -August is not the best time to start new grass
    If it is a new house tell customer it is best to mow weeds and dirt for a few months and renovate in early fall. Just good money after bad this time of year.

3. PMLAWN

I see you are new, Do you know what is all involved in total renovation, if not start doing a lot of reading.

4. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

Soooooooooooooo, aerate then overseed??? Will this help? I am in Wisc. it is dry here right now.

5. PMLAWN

it will not help if you do it now.
    Do you have an extension service by you . I know Cheese head land (I am from Chicago:) ) has good soil but if New construction they still may have scraped all good top soil off. Send a sample and see if you need to do anything. Sit tight till late AUG. than yes Renovate

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

PMLAWN is right renovet in fall,fertalize in spring.

7. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

thanks. I am doing the landscaping now and will address the lawn later. Is it the right thing to do though, aerate then seed?