Just Starting Small

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Droffaws, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I just purchased a 36" Wright Stander and I have 2 accounts. I'm wanting to add a few more to do on Friday afternoons and Saturdays.

What should I be looking for when pricing a lawn? What is a good price for the avg. residential lawn? How can I get a few good accounts?

Any info would be great.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Droffaws,

A few things to consider when developing a price:

What are your expenses ?
    How much do you want to profit ?
    How much is your competition charging ?

Congratulations on your new purchase :)

3. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Thanks TG.

What is the best way to scope out the competition's prices?

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, a Wright Stander! That's a nice machine, I own one as well. Good luck with it. As far as pricing a lawn, you should be looking for how much trimming there is to do and how fast you can get it all done. Some guys will do it by the size of the lawn others by the amount of time. The time method is a tough one to master, but I believe it's the better method. I have some lawns that are bigger but take less time then the smaller ones, that is one example why the size method won't always work. Try to cut a couple of lawns and time yourself, as you start to do this you will start to learn how to estimate other lawns just by looking at them. Hope this helps.

Times are start to finish ( drive-up, unload & re-load, drive-off )

Sample: 10 - 20 min. = $25
    20 - 30 min. = $30 - $35
    30 - 45 min. = $35 - $45
    45 - 60 min. = $45 - $60

Some guys won't agree with me on this, but this have not failed me yet.

5. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

I think that starting off you might not have the advantage of "not taking your mower off the trailer" for less than 35 or 40 bucks. I got into this business to do a good job and make some money, so I don't "drop my trailer" for less than 35 and it goes up of course for bigger yards, and trimming bushes etc. Hell, I really don't know what I am talking about I have only 2 accounts. But, they are 40 and 60 bucks.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The market price for mowing seems to vary widely depending on location. If you or a friend or family member live on a typical sized lot, call several LCOs and get estimates. Then you can see the range of prices in your area.

Besides the size of the yard (the obvious factor), the overall terrain and amount of trimming can increase the time it takes to finish the job. On a lot of my jobs the mowing only takes up 50-60% of the total time.

A good example is a street where I have 3 houses in a row. The first two are wide open, one or two trees in the lawn, takes me an hour total for the two. The third house takes an hour by itself, has about 25 minutes of trimming (trees and beds everywhere). So that third house pays a lot more than the first two.

7. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Thanks for the pointers...that will really help me get started. Eastlawn, I liked the time table thing....thanks