Just starting solo what equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhaas1315, Jul 26, 2001.

1. dhaas1315

dhaas1315 LawnSite Member

I am looking to start out part time. I will be working solo and need advice on what type and make of equipment to purchase.
    I live in SW FL so I can work just about year round. I am looking to buy a mower, trimmer/edger and a blower (if nessescary) to get myself started. Does any one have any advice on models and pricing? Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

Well there are many variables to what equipment you need, and what you want to invest. I would suggest a 36 exmark wb, 21inc lawn boy, a Echo trimmer, and a Red Max blower. It would be wise to invest in a hedge trimmer, if you want to offer your clients another service. Well good luck on your new business!!

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

take what dealers you have into consideration. You want a quick supply route for important parts and service you may need along the way. As far as brands, I won't give that advice because you have to decide for yourself what you want. Go to afew dealers and try a couple different brands and models, and you'll know which one to get!

Do a search on here my product name and you will have days of reading to do with all the reviews, etc that have been posted.

Good Luck!

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

good used walkbehind,echo trimmer,poulan pro hand held blower,vac.
    that gets you off the ground and then you decide where you want to go. check used mower for deck warp,and motor for
    black or white smoke in excess.you may see smoke at first from any mower but after its running and choke is off. shouldnt be any.
    of course hrs on meter if it has one, but these can be played with. next wiggle the blade up an down . shouldnt be much if
    any play.laterTM
    PS OH YEA YOULL NEED A T LESAT 4 BY 8 TRAILER.

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever equipment you buy.....make sure you get the SEARCH ENGINE.
    You can try it by clicking the word "search" at the top of the page.

jeff

6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

30 days into my new business- all this is still fresh to me. Get a 36 inch WB. A back up push mower of some sort. If you can afford it get 2 trimmers, 1 edger, at least 1 blower. I also got a hedge trimmer used it several times. An F-150 with a good trailor- and thats about it!

Do some lawns for free! People drive by and see you and ask what your rares are.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh no ...don't sell yourself that short!!!

8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I don't sell myself short- it's just that my competition does NOT offer free cuts. That's why I do.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

... on your circumstances. Are you in a relatively secure area, or are things likely to 'walk away?' If they are, get an enclosed trailer, I would go for a 7'x16' one.

Want dependable stuff? Go with commercial grade, don't save a buck. You'll make up for it in saved labor and results. For your trimmers and the like, I like Stihl right now, but I haven't gotten the chance to try the Shindaiwas that everyone has been raving about.

Blowers. Yes, it's necessary. Again, go commerical grade. Again, I like the Stihl BR400 but neither have I tried the Redmax that so many seem to enjoy on this site.

Mowers. Like to really, really, really, work? Get a walkbehind. Like to get good results as effortlessy as possible? (Lazy?) Get a zero turn rider. I would recommend at least 52" deck, it'll get too small soon enough. As far as the brand goes, sorta like Chevy and Ford, far as I can tell. I use a Scag. Other folks use Dixie Choppers, Exmarks, etc. Demo them and see which one you like the best. Just like buying a car.

10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a condo down in Naples. Its a really nice area so I dont think he has anything to worry like his stuff walking away.