Just Starting - Sort of

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SP Lawn Care, Jul 8, 2006.

1. SP Lawn Care

SP Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey all, im 16 and have been mowing lawns around my house and what not, and will be soon getting my license. I've looked around the site quite a bit, and have learned a lot. I have some fairly decent equipment, but its getting a little old, and im looking into getting more commercial equitment. Heres what I have as of now: Dixon 42" ZTR - not the best but works fine. Troybuilt Line Trimmer - getting a little old and worn. Old Homelite backpack blower that has seen better days. Also have some other micelanous tools and what not. Have a couple of people that I mow their lawns and other odds and ends. Need to get some input on what to look into as of Mowers, Line Trimmers, Backpack Blowers, and anything else you think might be handy. Also any suggestions on how to aquire more customers.

Thanks-a-Ton
    Ryan

*newusflag*

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Hard to say without knowing what the properties are like where you are and not having a lic. is going to severely milit the work you can do. At 16 its going to be a hard sell to get any real $ because like you I mowed when I was younger and the customers think that you simply aren't worth paying a reasonable amount. Your work will stand for itself if its good though and word o fmouth will help land you more jobs. As for equipment upgrades it depends largely on how you use it, what dealers stock parts for and how much you can spend. Are you going to be doing leaves in the fall? Would suggest a Red Maxx blower. Are you going to get into hedge trimming? Would definnatley add a back-up trimmer, maybe a stick edger? Vehicle will eat up some expenses too so be sure to budget for that. Less windsheild time equals more money in your pocket if you can keep that route tight. Good luck to you.

3. SP Lawn Care

SP Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks a ton. My lawns are fairly big except for one. Two are probably around an acre. Others are about 1/4 and 1/2. Any input on a mower?

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Same goes for a mower, look for a strong brand like Exmark or Toro or something you've heard of. Do you have a lot of backyards with gates? A Quick 36 may be a good tool, great mower for the money. Here everyone used to use Walkers, now don't see them much anymore, mostly exmarks, people are mulching more to save not just the dump fees but the fuel to just get to the dump! I am a little biased towards Exmark, I have heard that Encores are good as well, apparently they were a spin off from exmark at one time (correct me if I'm wrong guys). There a lot of different ways to come up with the right combination of tools to do the jobs you have, Brad uses his Flex-deck system because that works well on large open areas and Frakenscag had his unique set ups as does Justmowit who uses small Ford Rangers with kind of a unique bed to carry only 21 inch mowers since that suits his business model well. There is so much info on this site, start browsing old threads using that search bar up towards the top and you will find tons of stuff! Look at the tips threads, tons of great info. Also read a lot from the old posts in Just Starting as most newbies all have similar questions.