1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just starting this season

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by precisionlawn, Jan 9, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Im just starting this season and wondering everything about fertilization? When(time of year),how often, how much product, what product, best way to aplly the fertilzer and so-on. Thank you
  2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If you have to ask all of those questions, then it is obviously too early for you to be performing those services.
  3. precisionlawn

FBlandscape, I have a general idea, just based upon what i have READ. Im CURIOUS what other companies have DONE.
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

It all depends on what kind of stand you have, what the function of that stand is, what kind of condition the soil is in, and what the customer desires as far as care goes... (some people want onlynatural organics which is $$$... others just want one fertilizer app a year to make the lawn green.) Once you know those things, then you can make an educated decision.
  5. precisionlawn

Alot more helpful, thank you
  6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by another LCO that you had to have a license to apply fert. & pesticide. He said that you could get fined if you were caught without the license. Is any of this true?:confused: I haven't applied any yet but I was curios. What do all of you think?
  7. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

Most states do require that you be certified and licensed in order to apply fertilizer and pesticides. In MN the costs for licensing runs a few hundred every year.
  8. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Fblandscape was right. There is a lot of variables you have to think about. Location, weather, grass types, etc. Best thing to do is to go to a Lesco service center (there's a few up in Chicago) and ask them what they recommend.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here in KS you dont have to have a license to spread fertilizer, but do to spread pesticides. I just took my exam today and will know in a week if I passed. I think I did alright....yahoooo! Now I just need to get enough customers to pay for the $1500 yearly insurance rate. What sucks is you can't advertise this service until you get a business license and insurance so you need to take a big gamble to get all that, then go out and get the work. I had a couple customers call and want this service, but with just those will only come to about $800 income, only half of what insurance will cost, not to count the material cost and equipment cost. I will figure something out.