Just Starting Up Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LesPaul, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LesPaul

LesPaul LawnSite Member

Hi Guys and Gals. I'm 57 years old so I've been cutting grass forever, but only semi-professionally for a couple of years. I'm a male nurse with extra days off per week, so I got a couple of commercial accounts with intentions to add more, so I can hopefully retire early and just do lawn work full time. I'm running a (don't laugh) JD D110 that I already had to cut my lawn. My question is, should I buy an Exmark Quest for $4000 that I've been drooling over now, or should I wait until I have more business to justify the expense. My JD handles the work quite easily thus far. I fully realize that the quest may not be considered a "real" commercial mower, but I'm not expecting to take on a large amount of business for 2 or 3 years.

2. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say get some more customers and look into a used exmark lazer z or a Scag. The quest is a good machine but its still homeowners mower.
    Or even a walkbehind would be good depending on how big your lawns are. Just take your time and look on craigslist, underneath all the junk there might be a good mower!

Good luck!