Just Starting Up Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Coryhale2002, May 27, 2008.

1. Coryhale2002

Coryhale2002 LawnSite Member

So I now have all the equipment and I'm ready for some accounts. My question is whats the best way to get them? I have tried craigs list, flyers and advertising in the local newspaper. No phone calls yet. What works best? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I've done those 3 methods myself, nothing else. I've had great success with all of them. In the first week I picked up 11 mowing accounts and 3 landscaping jobs. Maybe you're not saying the right thing or doing it the right way. Link us to your CL ad and maybe we can help with that. I've had great success with CL.
  3. Coryhale2002

Coryhale2002 LawnSite Member

4. metro1handyman

metro1handyman LawnSite Member

you misspelled Mulching.. remove the "t"...
  5. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Ad is pretty simply, seems cheesy.

Try a title like "Mowing, Lawn Care, Mulching, blah blah". No one cares about your name, they care about what you do. Secondly, try to use an image instead of just text and last but not least, don't post in the Small Biz section. Post in the Household, Labor/Moving and Skilled Trade sections.

Here's on of my ads which has had great success.

6. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

He's right. Post in Household Services, Labor/Move, and Skilled Trades. Homeowners will go to craigslist and on the left hand side type in "Lawn services" or "lawn care" or other variations and select "Services". This will bring up results for LCOs.

If you're in Small Biz Ads, you aren't going to be seen.

Here is my ad: http://houston.craigslist.org/hss/694515096.html

I used to use a full image as my ad, but I decided to mix it up because Google crawls Craigslist daily. Sometimes the combination of craigslist high traffic and my ad text gets me on the first page of google at the bottom, which drives even more traffic to my website.

I also advertise with Google, so I get a lot of traffic either way. If you wanna get busy FAST, that the way to go. Gotta have a website though. I spend around $1.30 a click right now. Got 4 new customers today. About $15 spent today on advertising to bring in $120 a week. Well worth it.

I can help you with that too if you really feel like getting into it or if you are curious. Works best if you are near a large city.
  7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

You spell BUSINESS incorectly.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

When I 1st started, I ran an ad in the local newspaper. passed out a FEW flyers. hated doing that. but on slow days I would go talk to people.... Just look around and ask...

also. Talk to everyone you see. EVERYONE IS A CUSTOMER.... If there NOT then they have a mother brother friend that has grass.....

JUST DO IT...

Good luck
  9. T&J Landscaping

T&J Landscaping LawnSite Member

Question all,,, Does anyone still Knock on doors ? Talk to the people face to face
  10. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen people on lawnsite saying that they got started that way, but I dont have time to market myself that way now. Starting out if you are broke and dont have the money to advertise and dont know how to use craigslist... sure. :)