Just Starting Up in 07

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by johnnysoko, Jul 11, 2006.

1. johnnysoko

johnnysoko LawnSite Member

Hey guys and gals I'm just starting to ramp up a partnership with my little brother for 2007 and had a question(s). I've got a good plan, I have the contacts, but I have some issues with the equipment... what do you think of Bobcat 360 mowers? or... what do you rec & why? and regarding startup equipment what do you "really" need for a 1 or 2 guy op? We already have a nice truck, 20' trailer, wackers and edgers... no blower yet but looking at several... do we really need a push mower? I'm new to this so experienced advice is what I'm looking for. Thanks -John

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

wow a 20' trailer to start is really nice we started with a 14' but its really nice when you can grow into them. depending on what accounts you have(let me know) will depend on what mower or mowers you need. on the push mower idea we have a 36'' walk behind that serves as our push mower because it will get into little places and also if needed will mower some properties very nice. a rider is always nice but only needed if you have a lot of cutting so if you have only a little to start out with just go with walkbehind theyre cheaper and serve their purpose

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you are off to a very good start. I can't help ya with what type of mower because everyone on here has there own thoughts. Just get what you feel comfortable with and can afford. Don't forget to have a business license and INSURANCE!!!!

Welcome to lawnsite by the way:waving:

4. johnnysoko

we got lucky with the trailer (friend not using), and have the cash for a nice rider ( I have my own company to help finance this endeavor ) but don't want to go overboard with the eq... but... want to show up with nice equipment that is trustworthy to go with the rest of the gear, I can run the eq no problem, but want good quality, I really don't want to buy used, except for backup... maybe I'm wrong but I feel that image means alot... I am a firm believer in image, I own a company now, and also worked for one of the largest trucking co's in the nation and we prided ourselves on our image... I am a firm believer that if you can provide the professional service and professional image you will not only keep clients but inherit more... am I wrong? Please provide constructive feedback. Thanks - John

5. DBL

image is huge to me as probably most people here. i like looking good but if something needs to get done and my image for the moment may look bad im all for the "GIT-R-DONE" approach. all our equipment was bought used and they great for our image. chekc out some other lco or equipment shops maby theyre selling them but on a side note whats your other company and what trucking company did you work for

6. johnnysoko

I have a company called Autovision Solutions, I do recruiting for the suppliers of the auto-industry primarily in product development. Trucking, (CCX) Con-Way Central Express ! Some of the best times in my life, great company, I had the best drivers... I learned more from that company than university...

7. johnnysoko

how wary should i be of used equipment though??

8. DBL

ok there you go but i love everyday of landscaping even today it hit 90 and being out there and working i love it i may complain a lot about the heat but i love it and i have a part time job driving a tow truck and everyday is something new and that has also tought me a lot

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

BoBcat mowers are some very nice equipment. As well as many others . hydro's are the way to go in walk-behinds if you can afford them,they are more efficent when the grass is wet and will pull hills easier in this situation. You can probably find a nice used ZTR under$5,000 if you shop around. My friend Just bought a CubCadet Commercial Tank For $5200 New,but ive never used them so i don't know how good they are.

10. DBL

with that you never know its like buying a used car or even a used...table you dont know how the last person treated them unless you know them or of them like we did when we bought our mowers off other lco's but have them checked out by someone first and you should be alright