Just starting your Business: friends and family's reactions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoastalEmpire, Aug 5, 2004.

1. CoastalEmpire

CoastalEmpire LawnSite Member

How have people reacted when you tell them that your going to start up a business like one here on lawnsite. I have generally positve support although there are a couple who think it's a dead end or they look down on it. Not me!

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

It's sad but true even ones own friends and family sometimes do not support you when you are taking one of the biggest chances in your life. ItÂ’s really political I won't name parties but they know who they are. There are different philosophies about life some people feel as I do that you control your own destiny and make your own luck. Basically you are the one that should be taking care of you not some one else. Then there is the other side who feel you should have a steady job but give no thought to how that job was created they feel those who succeed were lucky and should be taxed and pay for there ill gotten wealth since it was obviously obtained through unfair practices. They feel no joy if you make it they only feel contempt and jealousy and will never support you in your decision and will be the first with their hands out asking for a favor when you prove them wrong. They will never succeed at any thing for they have too much fear of failing so they do nothing and expect us to support them. As a result I do not tell them anything and I keep my business information to my self when it comes to family.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Coastal, all I will say is: 1 Make sure you've got your ducks in a row and you have a fully scienced out business plan. and 2, I wouldn't worry about what my family said, good or bad...Mine was supportive though...

4. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

Almost 90% of my family is against anything not related to a job. So I feel your pain. However, ask yourself how many people do you know that have their own business vice those who work for someone elses? You are about to step into the minority of the haves not the have nots and you must realize that it's a scary thing to them and they feel as they are protecting you. Many things will change for you and you'll see yourself becoming less like the majority of people you know and associate with now as your business progresses. I personally congratulate you on your endeavors and wish you the greatest of success.

5. CoastalEmpire

CoastalEmpire LawnSite Member

Thanks for the encouraging words

6. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Friends and family where mostly positive or just plain neutral and listened to my plans it was a lot of fun talking and listening to people about starting up a biz, the sky was the limit then and it looked good. I had only one real negative family member which totaly surprised me because he is a very succsesful man he owns 6 drug stores and man did he hammer me for may thoughts "Oh itll never work " followed by a mention of others in biz who do well his final word of advice was " get a good job and take care of your family" needless to say he was a real Turd and totally wrong as I have been in biz for 11 years now and doing just fine....

7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Birthday June 22, 1975
    Your Age 29
    Years in business 4
    Biography
    Location Savannah Georgia

Well after 4 years in biz tell us is it a dead end or have you been successful ?

8. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

I was free, white, and over 21.

What could they say?

I left a good job with benefits to do this, miss the benefits but don't miss that "good job".

It ain't a piece of cake but it beats the alternative.

9. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Do you really care?

If they look down their nose, they have a personality disorder you can't fix.;

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

When a pig tries to get out of the pigpen, there's always another pig to drag him back into the muck. Your mission is to get away from all the other pigs. Misery LOVES company, ever heard that one? One of my sisters keeps sending me things she found on the internet relating to so called "good" jobs. Funny though, it took her 6 years to get a degree from Auburn and she hasn't kept a job for over a year at a time. She believes you have to receive a paycheck and contribute to a company 401k and participate in the company health plan. That would be ok I guess if I hadn't tasted freedom. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", the WHO had it right on target.