Just Starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by foggyjr5, Apr 19, 2005.

1. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

I am just getting started in the business and was wondering about insurance, licensed, and other stuff i need to do before i start. I am going to get insurance for sure, but i don't know what else i need to do. I talked with a lady at the bank and she said that i need a Tax ID #?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, but she should have also told you that at only 16 years old you can't get any of these things as you have to be at least 18 years old to do so, so you would have to get your parents to get everything in their name and you be their employee so to speak.

3. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

Yes well my dad is helping me out so i could still use the advice

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

best thing you could do , is get a job with a lown care company for 3 or 4 years and learn, and go to college

5. daveintoledo

changing the birtday here wont help .....now it says your 18, but when i look this morning you where 16?????????

i really ment it, that is the best advice you will get , go work for a lawn care service a few years

6. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

My dad and i are starting our own lawn business, and i was just wondering about that stuff

7. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

16 and you change it to 18 ?......LOL jeeez,,,,,,what a joke !!!!!!!!!

8. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

Forget you guys then, all i was doing was asking for some advise from people that were willing to just help out, but i guess not.

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

foggyjr5, you are on the right track !

Call the city and the county clerks to see about what licenses are needed in your area.

Do you have to collect sales tax on mowing? If not, you won't need a tax number.

Use Quickbooks to set up your business records. You'll want to keep track of the money (capitol investment) you put into the business. Keep records of ALL money earned, and ALL money spent: insurance, licenses, equipment, and every thing else you buy.

I commend you for wanting to properly opperate your business - many don't make such an attempt.

Be honest, work smart, be dependable and you'll be successful !

10. daveintoledo

if this is the case you have to have him file a dba or lcc for your business name to get a bank account, tider said the rest......but getting some real experience is what you need, you cant just run out and make the lawns look good with equipment your not trained on, you could end up damaging turf with commercial equipment....

i wasnt being a smart a$$..... experience is important, i worked my way through college doing this type of stuff, now im ready to go on my own and have learned enough to start out....

GOOD LUCK :)