1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Starting!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rathomas, Feb 16, 2001.

1. rathomas

rathomas LawnSite Member

Greetings All,

My Name is Ron Allen Thomas, a newbie to the lawn service industry as of yesterday. I'm sorry to bombard you guys with questions, but I just don't know. Here are some of the questions that I have.

1. In soliciting customers what is the best method, Business Cards, Flyers or Ads?

2. For a beginner with little capital, would you start by purchasing a commercial mower or riding mower?

3. The final question, how does one go about charging the customer? By the hour or acre?

Ron T.
  2. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am in a similar situation as you and have used the pros here alot to help me. Here is what I would suggest you look at.
    1. What size yards will you be cutting and percent restricted by gates.
    2. Nearest dealers and what they sell/service. Financing plans are avail which help.
    3. Word of mouth, Yellow Page ads and flyers work best in that order. I have 7 contracts and have not stepped foot on 5 of them yet. Only distro's 150 flyers so far.
    4. Get the best quality equipment you can afford, and ensure it fits with number 1. Think versatility.
    EXAMPLE: I am searching now for a cost effective yet durable and versatile machine for narrow gated yards.
    5. Do thorough research, get a biz license, insurance, and work on you pesticide license also.
    The best to you
    Strawbridge Lawn & Landscape

3. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

Welcomw, Ron T.

1} I have found that outside of word of mouth {which works best only after you have been established for a while}, flyers are the best... a classified ad in those weekly papers work pretty good too. I have tried yellow pages and got nothing but sale people calling me to sell me stuff, not one landscape job.{Big $$$, what a couple of years B4 you take that plundge.The $1100 that that cost I could have put out thousands of flyers. Would have got more responce too.}

2} If your just starting out for go the rider and get a 48" Exmark WB Metro, more bang for the $$$. As you grow you can always step up.

3} Charge by the job...each lawn is different. Measure it to get the square footage {buy a measuring wheel if you don't have one yet.}figure out the degree of difficulty and obsticals{they slow you down}, try and find out what your market will bare. See what the lowballers and the top guns are charging in your area and you want to be in the middle to upper range.

Hope this helps.
  4. rathomas

rathomas LawnSite Member

Thanks for the speedy response...

By the way what is meant by Distro's?
  5. rathomas

rathomas LawnSite Member

Thanks, Dan...