just starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by emt landscaper, Jul 13, 2005.

1. emt landscaper

emt landscaper LawnSite Member

hy you guys i was just gonning to start in the bussiness how munch money does it take to start in this line of work .
  2. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

that depends do you have equipment? and are you planning on doing this full time? add up equipment needed, vehicles, office rent (if any) license fees, insurance, startup material, advertising, and plan on working for free until your billing cycle takes affect
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

depends but as a rule, the more you have, the better.
    In my case, I found 5k to be barely enough, recommend 10k and 20k would be awesome.
    Advice: Don't get a loan - save it up.
  4. newmanfan

newmanfan LawnSite Member

I am starting with about 14k in cash, bought a truck- 21k, trailer and equipment 14k, and a Line of credit with my bank for 30k-
  5. High Humidity

High Humidity LawnSite Member

Great advice about no debt. However, in certain situations, carrying a small amount of debt is not harmful to a well thought out business plan. For example, if you have a "good" job now but wish to leave one day, go ahead and save some for the business and take a loan for the equip. That way you can go ahead and get started, but still have a reg. job to pay back the loan if need be. The plan would be to pay off equip. with whatever accounts you have the first year or so. Just a thought. :rolleyes:
  6. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

This sounds like a great idea and I'm looking into this now... but do most people that do this work a night job or how do they find the time???

It seems like its hard to find time to run your own business if you work a M-F 8-5 type of Job... Right now I do 45-55 Hours a week, plus rotate an 24x7 Oncall schedule with 3 others.....

But I guess if you want it bad enough, you'll make time...
  7. CleanCutLawns

CleanCutLawns LawnSite Member

I am a Teamster Truck driver and work 8pm - midnight 5 days a week. Work 20 hours a week and get paid for 40 hours, three weeks paid vacation plus my medical and pension. Then I do my lawns during the day.
    My plan is to have two employees, each running a 60 customer route and myself halfway through setting up my third route to hire my third employee, before I quit my Teamster job. I'm thinking 3-5 years hopefully less.