Just starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by huntnfish21, Dec 31, 2005.

1. huntnfish21

huntnfish21 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have worked for a LCO for a number of years. I also coach college baseball. I am wanting to start my own P/T mowing service. I have 5 accounts now and want around 20. I have run exmarks for a number of years. My question is would you finance a mower, trimmer, blower, and trailer? I realize the first year (s) I won't make money. I am not looking at getting rich just some type of extra income.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

If just looking for extra income, I would just keep it simple. Buy a 21" mower good trimmer and blower, out your stuff in the back of pick up and go make some extra cash. you can handle 20 lawns easy, just go after nice small ones. On about 20 lawns you should make between 300-500 dollars gross.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would at least try to get the bigger faster mower and trailer,but I would want my accounts to be able to make the payments and cover gas and operating expenses before I financed

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think financing is a bad thing at all. For what you want, you're looking at financing roughly $5,000...not a huge amount of money. Cutting 20 lawns a week, you'll gross that in 2 months. Plus since you've worked for an LCO before you know a little bit of what's involved.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

If you are only looking for extra income then you'd be better off getting some small used equipment. If you are looking to start a business then you should finance some good, new equipment that you can use for a couple of years.

If you aren't serious...why spend the extra money?