just starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yankeesdood16, May 16, 2006.

1. yankeesdood16

yankeesdood16 LawnSite Member

I am just starting to get a business going. So far I have 5 yards, I dont have a business license but as soon as I get my business bigger(10 yards at least) I'll get the license. How many yards do you guys think I should get before I get my license? Any other advise would also be appreciated. I am charing around $25 per yard right now just to get yards to do.

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I would go ahead and get a license. Licenses aren't normally very expenisve, mine was $25.00 and I have piece of mind knowing that I have it.

3. yankeesdood16

I dont have any commericial equipement yet, I use a regular lawn mower. I had a 25cc string trimmer but a couple weeks ago I bought a 31cc for my business and I just use a regular leaf blower to clean up with, its a more powerfull one though(200mph). Also, I just have two boards that I use as ramps to get the mower into the truck. RIght now I just have a little chevy s10 but down the road I'll get a bigger truck, the s10 I just got last summer. Its a 2000 with only 73,000 miles on it and I got it from someone that used to live in florida so it has no rust.

4. A1A Lawn Care

A1A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Always need a license and like clarles said, they are only 15-25 bucks.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you are under 18 right, some places you can but most places you cant do anything until your 18, no license, cant sign a contract.... cant get insurance, or a business checking account... on and on....

but try .... you show at least attempt to be completely legal before cutting your first lawn.... if you try and cant, then you have to do what you have to....

6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the license NOW! In my town it is only $25.00 a year. It is a lot cheaper than to get caught doing business without a license. If you get caught doing a business without a license here, it is a MINIMUM $500.00 fine. Even if it is a small business, you don't want to have to pay an extra $475.00 minimum .....

7. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get it now Mine cost 10 bucks! Also,,,

Try this get a measure wheel on a stick,, measure yards at est time,, whip out this chart and say your size is X and I charge this rate for that size.
    Works for me ,, stay at home dad Part time, 5 reg cust's. Can only get better!!

Size Chart-

1/8 acre= 5,445 square feet
    ¼ acre= 10,890 square feet
    3/8 acre= 16,335 square feet
    ½ acre= 21,780 square feet
    5/8 acre= 27,225 square feet
    ¾ acre= 32,670 square feet
    7/8 acre= 38,115 square feet
    1 acre= 43,560 square feet

1/8 acre: $30
    1/4 acre: $35
    3/8 acre: $40
    1/2 acre: $45
    5/8 acre: $50
    3/4 acre: $55
    7/8 acre: $60
    1 acre: $65
    Over 1 acre: $65 per acre + $20 for each additional acre
    Example:3 acre lawn would cost $105.

8. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

When you get a license the state or county will probably have to pay some personal property tax. That is tax on your already bought and paid for and taxed equipment. Then, when the tax year is up for your city or county they'll want their share of your income along with the IRS.

9. yankeesdood16

Thanks for all your advise. I am actually 20, going to be 21 the 27th of july. Right now I only have 4 yards but in another month I'll most likely have 5. Only one out of the 5 people pay me by check and the rest pay me by cash so that way I wont get caught or anything. The person that does pay me by check sends me a personal check. My dad and one or two of his friends know stuff about having a small business(mowing business) and they told me that I dont have to get it yet. What I have isnt really considered a business since I only have 4 or 5 yards. Once I get more yards then I'll consider getting a license.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

SO what you are saying is that you are a Cheat, a Crook, and a Criminal and that your father condones it.

1 Lawn or 100 Lawns if you are getting paid you are legally bought to buy licenses and pay TAXES!

You are on the wrong site if you want to get on here and talk about doing business underhanded and avoiding paying taxes!