1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Joe_Joe, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Joe_Joe

Joe_Joe LawnSite Member

Hey guys Im just starting out and had a couple of questions. About how many accounts is normal for the first year? I plan on devoting all of my time to this company. And around what time of the year should I start with the advertising? Thanks in advance and Im sure Ill be posting more questions in the near future.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

:waving: Hi joe welcome to the site. The amount of acounts is up to you and
    abilities (equipment employees ect). The advertising should start as soon as
    possible.:walking: Good luck.
  3. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

How many account is normal??? No such thing? How many accounts do you want? How hard do you want to work? If you get 200 accounts could you service that many? How much money do you have to devote to advertising? What services are you offering? Are you looking for mowing accounts or fert accounts?

Advertising? When? Timing is everything they say, but depending on how many account you want and your advertising budget you can start now theoretically. Your cost per sale might be higher now, but if time is money "our" time should be less $ now since we really aren't that busy. Spring is best, but not too late, cause by that time everyone who wants service already contracted with someone else. Too early and they arn't thinking lawn care. Try doing a little all winter long, the sales will come, slowly at first, but come spring your at main advertising push those potential customers will remember the "stuff" you gave them in the winter and will remember your name (hopefully) when you contact them in the spring.