Just starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BUSYBEE_LAWNCARE, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BUSYBEE_LAWNCARE

BUSYBEE_LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

A few qustions here. How do i get a certificate for lawn fertilizing? I live in Wisconsin. Also I am building a client base based off of a News carrier route I have. The questions from my elder customers are going to come in the form of how much to cut/trim/edge and for the month?

I am starting out with a small client base, but am unsure how many clients to limit myself too. I have 280 customers on my route, and if I flyer all of them, I may get overwhelmed.
    Thanks

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think Wisconsin requires you to have one for fertilizer. Spraying chemicals is another story, you will need to get in touch with your Dept. of Ag for more information and study guides. A commercial applicators license is required in most states for liquid chemicals.

3. BUSYBEE_LAWNCARE

BUSYBEE_LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Thanks...
    I called the department of aggriculture in Madison to get testing information.
    Jeff

4. Mueller Lawn Care

Mueller Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yes, you do have to have a license to sell and apply fertilizer and chemicals in Wisconsin.
    As for the part about you getting overwhelmed, I read a post about what percentage of replies people get from fliers, and almost everyone that replied to the post said they get about 1/2 to 1 percent replies. So if you deliver 280 fliers and get 1 percent response thats only 2 or 3 customers, not overwhelming.
    I'm just starting out myself this year, and everything I've been reading says advertise like there's no tomorrow. I sent out 1000 postcards almost 3 weeks ago and have gotten only 2 calls and 1 customer from them. I'm planning to do another 1000 postcards at the beginning of March and am going door-to-door with fliers(about 1000 every week from next week until the end of April).
    Good luck to you.

5. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

They got the certifcation going on at the end of this month at Carrol College in Waukesha if your interested. It's not to hard basic math and calulating litters to gallons.