Just starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Garagedude, May 6, 2007.

1. Garagedude

Garagedude LawnSite Member

I'm wanting a few yards for some extra cash as I have another full time job. I have a zero turn, tractor, push mower, trailer, all that stuff. If I get liability ins. I'll be in the whole right off the bat before I get any customers. Is there another way besides getting ins. first if its needed?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That is a tough question only you can answer, but first I would check the legalities of the state you reside in, for example, in Virginia an operation such as mine is not required by law to have gen.bus.liab. insurance.

I think the legal aspect is the first hurdle, the next steps involve again a careful consideration of just how much risk you are willing to take, for what in the end might save you 400-600 / year, such as if you were to get yourself into a liability issue with a customer's Ferrari lol...

However, the fact that you indicate extra cash also tells me you have a job, and seeing how you have most if not all the equipment, would it be entirely out of the question to wait until late next winter to get started, so as to get the right kind of head start? I might recommend saving as much money as you can in that time, I'm just not sure if with your current level of preparedness you'd make it (then again I think you're better prepared than I was and I got into 6 years of it by now lol).

Your choices, have a nice day.
  3. Garagedude

Garagedude LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I would carefully pic my first customers for sure.