just starting

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kevhov, Nov 2, 2007.

1. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

I just bought a walker ghs and currently have a chevy s10 zr2 and a 5x8 open trailer. I cannot and would not anyway leave my trailer in the driveway because of hoa rules. The 5x8 will barely fit in my 1 car garage right now. I am looking to move to a larger house with more garage. But for now, will this trailer be big enough for me to start this business?

2. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

What type of mower(s)? All I know is I bought a small trailer when I started becuase all I had was a 36 scag. Then I went to a 52 and the 36 needed a new trailer bought the next size up. Now I have a 61 and a 52 scag and it is like playing tetris getting them on the trailer. With the leaf loader mounted on the front I must be getting close to top weight capacity. Now I think it is time for me to upgrade again. Each time I sell for a lose and buy up. If I just bought the big one in the beginning for five or six hundred more I would be all set. If you can, upgrade if you cant, you cant. If you are going to stay with landscaping and grow save some time and money and do It in the beginning.

3. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

Its a 48", but walker has a flip up deck that saves some space. I will upgrade when I can move and a bigger trailer will fit in my garage.

4. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know how people can manage with small trailers, i had a 14ft open trailer, with a basket, trimmer and blower racks, a 36, 48 and a 21, and thought it was a tight fit. I now have a 16ft enclosed and it seems tight still,

5. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

Don't get me wrong, if I lived somewhere now where I could fit my trailer in a big garage, I would buy a 16 foot tomorrow to prepare for the business growing. But right now I am a one man crew and the 5x8 is all that will fit in my garage. Nothing else I can do until I move. I have 2 custom Harleys i'm going to sell then I can buy a new house with a larger garage and want to build another workshop on the property.

6. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

Well the other thing is if you are just starting that $600 is another string trimmer or a new blower. Or a string trimmer rack or a couple new catches for the mowers. Not a bad thing to start with the smaller trailer especially if you dont have any choice.