just starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by landmine, Apr 21, 2008.

1. landmine

landmine LawnSite Member

i am wanting to start a lawn care business to raise some money before i go to collage. i have a JD 110 mower, and a string trimmer. what else do i need and do i need a licence i my area?

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

You're in need of insurance, a new mower, a vehicle/trailer to transport said material, a driver's license, and since you don't know how to spell College, a few more years in high school.

G'luck!

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

1. Welcome to LawnSite!
    2. Do a Search, this has been discussed before.

- but to start, you should get insurance. Doesn't matter if you have 1 lawn or 10 lawns, you break something your paying for it. Car windows are expensive.... you need a blower, a truck to get your mower and equipment around. and lots of other tools.

and its College..not collage...

4. landmine

landmine LawnSite Member

for one, its a typo, and two how do i get the insurence?

5. Paulup

You would get insurAnce by calling a local insurance agent and asking for a quote, then proceed to call other insurance agents and get quotes, and buy insurance from the most competent agent that you can afford.

If you're not 18 years old, you're going to need your parents to do all of this for you. I assume you're using their lawn mower to begin with, so now is the time to tell them your master plan to stash away mad cash for boozin' after you graduate.

6. landmine

landmine LawnSite Member

will just any insurance co. work or are there special ones?

7. Paulup

Some insurance companies don't deal with lawn care general liability at all, and most of the ones that do end up contracting it out. Just call around and ask, without living in your town it is going to be hard to give more direct advice than that.

8. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Not every agency will cover this type of work or any business at that. You have to call around and find out. I just called my Statefarm agent last week and found out that I cant get business insurance from them until I have been insured for 3 years through them with another type of coverage, or another company.

9. landmine

landmine LawnSite Member

what about the legal stuff like permits and registering with the state department?

10. Paulup

Department of State is where you would register your business: LLC, S-Corp, etc.

Department of Agriculture and Forestry(or the Missouri equivalent) is where you will obtain your permits. Most states do not require a permit to "Cut grass, weed eat, edge, blow driveways/walkways" but if you do any planting, tree trimming or pesticide/fertilizer, you better have the appropriate license. The fines are irrecoverable for most small companies.