Just Starting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phat-MiKe, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Phat-MiKe

Phat-MiKe LawnSite Member

We baught a 6x12 Black enclosed trailor today, We are going in monday to buy our mower.. Im guessing something likea 36"-48" walk-behind.

I was wondoring how you guys get your initial customers. We are going to need to jump in and make money to make payments on the mower and the rest of the equipment. What is the best means of advertising to get your first initial customers? I know there is competition out here, So what should i do? Newspaper ad? Logo on trailor/truck? Business Cards? Flyers? I plan on doing all of the above plus I designed a website already. But what do you do to get your initial cuts? Will these work?

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, do all of those plus look for places that look shabby. Stop in and talk to the folks - they're usually very receptive. Good luck.

3. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

When I was just starting out I got almost all my customers with flyers. I did it every day after work, door hangers is what I used. I believe its a co. called NEBS 1-800-225-6380. I wasted my time and $$$ with newspaper ads, but they just didnt work for me. My advertising plan for this upcoming season is a yellow page which Ive placed 2 months ago, door hangers and word of mouth.

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Phat,

1.Call everyone you know- everyone! ( One of my largest accounts came from a loan processor that processed our mortgage 6 months before I started in the business- she heard I was in the business and gave me a call).

2. Target a neighborhood- put out flyers and call them that night or with in 2/3 days. Get their phone numbers from the Hill Donnely listing from your Public Library.

3. Cruse by commercial properties that look poorer than what you could do and contact them directly. Ask them if they are "completely satisfied with the service you are getting" 33% of the time they will say "no" (at least that is the adverage in my area). Offer to give them a price on your services. Then ask for the deal!

4. When you start getting accounts- offer them a "price break" if they recommend one of their neighbors with in site of their yard. Park once- cut twice.

Hope this helps.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u gettin a good start . welcome to the masses

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've done flyers, newspaper adds, But word of mouth and the lettering of my truck has done the most for me. Put my name on the truck 1.5 weeks ago, got four bids to place.

7. Phat-MiKe

Phat-MiKe LawnSite Member

I always hear u guys talking about bids, what exactly does that imply. I figured its for a price.. But what you consult them and they make a bid or what.. Thats my next problem, Billing, I know there is alot of competition out here, So i would rather be cheap but not too cheap :p

8. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Banned

This won't get alot of support but bid cheap until you know what you are doing, live & learn, build up a solid customer base through "lowballing" (or "smart business" sense). Prove your reliability & expertise, gain a loyal customer base & gradually increase prices.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Phat Mike

I checked your profile and see you are 17 years old. I would like to offer you some advise. You can take it or you can not. My advise it simple. Work for a big or older company for a least a year before you try it on your own. I realize you think you know everything about cutting grass but I am 61 years old and have been in the business since your dad was your age and I still don't know it all. One of the advantages would be you could get your roundup license before you start on your own. Remember that in Fla if you get caught with roundup you can get fined up to $5,000.00. good luck on what ever you do.

10. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm speechless they said it all away what I did was found some used inexspensive equipement around an settle with that for awhile until I was able to upgrade.

As for business, Cards fliers mouth advertise.

Last, Quality!!!!!!!!!!