just starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jerry917, Jan 17, 2004.

1. jerry917

jerry917 LawnSite Member

I am starting a small grass cutting business.
    Been looking at mowers and need some advice.
    Like to know if anyone could provide some input on yazoo kees mowers and would you start with a belt drive or is it best to go with the hydro type, please consider the price diffrence.
    Thanks for any reply you give me.
  2. HandEnterprises

HandEnterprises LawnSite Member

i don't know about kees so i cant say on that. if you have the money to blow buy a hydro. i have been in the biz since 93 and have always used belt drives,but now i am getting tired of pulling mowers back wards.i am also at the point where i wont be the one using the mowers so that wont matter to me but it will to my employees.is it worth 2000 more per walk-behind? that all depends on you. one thing for sure what ever you buy make sure you get something with a good reputation and a close dealer that will service it and stock parts.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Good advice, Hand. Especially the part about having a good dealer. Personally, I'd go with the hydro unit. Buy the unit you really want because you'd rather be stuck with a good decision than a poor one. The only reason not to get the hydro unit is money. Other than that, I'd say the hydro beats the gear in every other way.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go hydro. You will be more productive and less fatigued by the end of the day. IMO i would rather buy a used hydro vs and new belt drive.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hydro is not necessarily the best bet for you. Several factors should be considered.
    1. Size of properties you will most likely be working with.
    2. Do you plan to stay with it or try it out for a while?
    3. If you plan to grow it, will you be thinking of a bigger mower in a year or so?

Yazoo makes a good w/b.

I own belt and hydro w/b's. Both have advantages. When I was using w/b all day every day, then hydro was the only way to go. The belt drive mower is for gated areas only, so it doesn't get used all the time. For a mower that I don't use all day I would not spend the money for a hydro. If your properties in your area are all small and a 36" is the only mower you will ever need, then get the hydro. A belt drive mower is very cost effective to get you started and keep for gated areas down the road. I have a 2000 eXmark Metro that has the original belts and has never cost me anything but fuel, oil and filters. Its been thru 4 seasons. That is a low cost mower that has made its share of money. Just starting out, what happens if mid July in all the heat you decide you don't have time or want to do this anymore. Which will you swallow better, having bought a belt or hydro. Just a thought you need to be aware of. Many of us that have been around for long enough have seen a lot of "get rich quick" and newbies that found out mid season this isn't for them. I've personally picked up many customers over the years from this. Just something extra to think about.