Just starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 89Ranger, Aug 12, 2004.

1. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

I am in the process of writing my business plan for my business that will hopefully be up and running next spring. I have a lot of it written but still a long ways to go. I do however have a couple questions for everyone who feels like answering. How smart is it to buy a rototiller and use that along with all the other stuff? Just offer it like any other service. Do any of u guys have any sort of pressure washing services? I have a pressure washer just wondering if i should leave it out? And finally do u think a 4X8 trailer will be big enough to haul my walker (when i get one) and have the trimmer racks? The reason i am asking is because we already have the trailer to haul our 4-wheeler. Oh yea one last question, is there anything i could use my 4-wheeler four for?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

4 wheeler cost be used during lawn renovation projects or stick a blade on it during the winter time for snow removal of sidewalks and driveway
    4X8 trailer sounds great for starting out. I would check the measurements on the mower though first to make sure that it is going to fit
    You should only offer services and buy products that you know the market will use. Do some investigated of some of the other local companies and find out exactly what they offer. Also perhaps go around and ask friends, family, etc. whether they would ever use any additional services such as power washing
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, what he said ^^^^^^

4. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

89 Ranger,

I think your pressure washer idea is a good one once you establish a nice client base. I am actually thinking about getting one myself to do some of the extra side services that my residential customers just can't seem to get enough of. I've been looking for a used one for about $200, which could easily be made off one job. It just depends on the direction you're going. I've got about 34 accounts now (mostly urban postage stamps) so my side service time is becoming limited, but if I could get 50-60 bucks an hour for pressure washing, I'm there...Plus I could use it around my house....!

5. Black95gt

Black95gt LawnSite Member

Im offering pressure washing as well as window cleaning. I already have a pressure washer, so i thought i might as well add that into some potential business, and window washing would be easy with little overhead in equipment, unless you went with some taller buildings, but i'll just stick to first and second floor windows. But, yeah, just buy the equipment as you need it.
    Good Luck
  6. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

I tried this once...might be a repeat??? Anyhow, I'm curious what you charge for powerwashing? I was thinking around 50-60 an hr. ...Thanks for the post

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you are going into pressure washing than yes. Get a pressure washer. If you are going into lawn care, buy a mower as most pressure washers do a crappy job of cutting grass

If you have a mower make it work for you as much as possable and do not let it sit in the garage. With a 4x8 trailer you will have to unload all the grass business stuff and reload the PW business.
    A PW that will make you any money will set you back at least $2500 to get started and the insurance is a lot more. It will take forever to pay for it if you do it part time and the same with the mowers. Do one thing and do it well. Make it pay for itself before you branch out. I do offer PW service for ground work (pavement and decks) but my Handyman guys do the work and my lawn maintenance crews are working full time on landscape maintenance. I network with a window washer that will do the house cleaning and he will pass landscape work to me. All my handyman/building service labor is going for $65. per.
  8. 89Ranger

89Ranger LawnSite Member

what about my 4-wheeler that i already own?
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

stick a blade on it for winter time

Also can use it for lawn renovation work
  10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi 89Ranger,

Here is a quote from this post.

"I wash and stain decks on the side. Very profitable. In my area I charge .80/sq.ft -1.00/sq.ft. for just washing."