Just to vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lostmdboy, May 10, 2008.

1. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

I have one custimer. ( most picky, but not the best yard) You know the type!!! I think I bend over backwards for him. I really try to make his yard look the best I can. Ever since I started mowing for him (2 years) there have been bare spots on a lower section of his property. He called me yesterday to tell me not to mow, because HE just just down fertalizer. (Ya mid may :rolleyes: ) He mentioned that I should now raise my deck, because I guess he thinks I am now scouping his lawn. I have been trying to get him to let me fix this for 2 years, but he is too cheap. Now I have be doing it with my mower. AHHHH that just great. I was good I just kinda chuckled, and said we would look at it. :hammerhead: Any way thanks for listening

2. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

We all have customers that like to backseat drive.. I had one that actually wanted to try the Z out himself!! SO I let him, his wife tore out of the house and chewed him a new one!! I think she had enough of his crazy, bipolar yard antics...I havent had a problem since..

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could play the phone tape for you of a 12yr customer calling me to tell me to raise my mower height (I cut at 4") last year during the height of the drought becsuse her lawn was turning brown. I called her back and asked her if she had a sprinkler and a hose?!!! they didn't water . I sold them a complete lawn resto. last fall. They water now!!!!!

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer the same way. I told him one time that I was doing my best and if he could do better than do it. I was polite of course.

He tried... got another company. They were worse.

He called me two months later and told me to come back. Ever since I've had no problems with him, once he realized I was doing more than what the compition could give him.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I push and bag a small SFH and this woman has got to be the pickiest person around. Each week (4 cuts so far) she complains about something. She normally bags everything. I told her that the clippings wouldn't be apparent using my ztr and they weren't. So, the first cut I used my ztr and she said the cut was great but alittle long. I told her I could go over it now no extra charge but she declined. 2 days later she calls and tells me that I'll have to bag it from now on that she walked in the grass and found some clippings in her home. Sooooo, I start bagging with my Toro push mower for the next cut (not a big deal really) and it looks great. The height was good, it looked fine. The next day, she calls and tells me she notices a few blades of grass were sticking up near a pole I had trimmed around. I told her I'll make sure I get them next week. She said fine. Next week comes, I cut and bag, finished up no problem. She calls me 2 days later and tells me she sees blades sticking up through the lawn in random places. I'm guessing the push mower blade tip speed might be low as I noticed when cutting it would leave 1 here and there as I was mowing so I slowed down my pace in hopes that it cuts it all and doesn't miss any blades. Well, that didn't work. What do I do to stop this from happening? Will raising the RPM/blade tip speed help? The mower is brand new and has only been used on her lot. This woman is a real pain in the azz and I don't want to have to deal with petty stuff like a blade of grass I missed next to a fence post. Am I thinking wrong here or should I spend the extra time to assure every blade is cut in the lawn and around any other objects.......

6. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

(quote) I push and bag a small SFH and this woman has got to be the pickiest person around. Each week (4 cuts so far) she complains about something. She normally bags everything. I told her that the clippings wouldn't be apparent using my ztr and they weren't. So, the first cut I used my ztr and she said the cut was great but alittle long. I told her I could go over it now no extra charge but she declined. 2 days later she calls and tells me that I'll have to bag it from now on that she walked in the grass and found some clippings in her home. Sooooo, I start bagging with my Toro push mower for the next cut (not a big deal really) and it looks great. The height was good, it looked fine. The next day, she calls and tells me she notices a few blades of grass were sticking up near a pole I had trimmed around. I told her I'll make sure I get them next week. She said fine. Next week comes, I cut and bag, finished up no problem. She calls me 2 days later and tells me she sees blades sticking up through the lawn in random places. I'm guessing the push mower blade tip speed might be low as I noticed when cutting it would leave 1 here and there as I was mowing so I slowed down my pace in hopes that it cuts it all and doesn't miss any blades. Well, that didn't work. What do I do to stop this from happening? Will raising the RPM/blade tip speed help? The mower is brand new and has only been used on her lot. This woman is a real pain in the azz and I don't want to have to deal with petty stuff like a blade of grass I missed next to a fence post. Am I thinking wrong here or should I spend the extra time to assure every blade is cut in the lawn and around any other objects.......(end quote)

You might want to give her notice and tell her that things don't seem to be working out between you two no matter what you do. Tell her you'll mow her for 2 more weeks so that she can find another service. After 2 weeks for get about it.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thats what I just told the wife I may do. I haven't had anyone complain about my service but her. Others have told me how great it looks after i was finished.
    Including this customers home in the pics.
    before...
    [​IMG]
    after...[​IMG]

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would not give them the 2 weeks mentioned before, but is that 1 weeks growth? And does that home have axels and wheels?

9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

you trim too low. i like when the trimming blends in with the cut grass. looks better in my opinion. anyway, just dump her.

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Fire her and replace her slot with someone else! I use a "two strikes & you're out" policy. If you don't lay the law down with her, she keep stealing your time each & every week.

Mike