1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just upgraded

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrebeiro, Mar 27, 2001.

1. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

Hey All,

My business just grew this year and we just upgraded all our mowers to mid-size walk behinds. We went with 2 Scag belt-drive 48". I was looking over the Scag brochure and I notice they have a higher model with Hydro. What exactly is hydro and why would I need it. I'm still getting used to these big mowers and turning without tearing the turf. Im outside every day on my own lawn and I'm starting to get the hang of it. Will hydro turn without locking up the wheel?? This is the problem I am having now with the belt-drive units. Also what are you guys doing with customers who have fences that you cant fit a 48" in there. We are gonna bring our old push mowers but we couldn't justify the purchase of a 36" walk-behind when we only have about 3 customers with fences. The rest of our clients are on 1+ acre lots or don't have a fence. I also don't want to drop a client this year because it will take us a few extra minutes to use a push mower.

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

The hydro unit is better. It won't slip when it is wet and to go in reverse all you do is pull the handle up all the way. It might be eaiser to turn because the revers is set up in this manner. There about a 1000 dollars more than the belt drives.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

INTAKE .Ive seen it done like that.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

hey jre,
    heres a hint you can try. when turning with a walk behind turn left slightly, lightly squeeze the triggers and pull back on the mower and then start your new row. this doesnt tear the turf because the wheels are not rotating in one spot. i hear hydros are the way to go. i havent tried one, but everyone seems to like them. im getting a new lazer, so ill prolly be tearing some turf getting used to it also. you got to begin somewhere i guess