1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just ur comments guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tim cooper, Feb 20, 2002.

1. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

Sup guys!!!! Just finished spring clean up job... Estimated 16 hours for 2 man crew... All leaves bagged most all mulched, limbs picked up and roof cleaned off.. also mowed yard to clean up trash from winter left in grass...25 dollars per man.. took 14 hours.. cost 700 dollars ( not including tax) My question is.. is this a good price.. I am new to this business and I felt kinda guilty charging this amount... btw.. she was happy to pay it!!1

Thanks any comments would be helpful pro or con........:blob2:
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how it is there, but I would have charged that to do it alone, twice for a 2 man crew. It doesn't sound like you got hurt this time, though. :D
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know exactly what part of MS your in, but I know about the market there. You probably did ok on that one, but I'm assuming your cost are low.

Being new I would offer this advice, figure your cost, then re-evaluate this job. See how it stands up then.
  4. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

Well I did use my grasshopper mower with grass catcher... about 4 hours worth on it the rest was rake and bags and blower... only spent about figure 10.00 travel/ i/e gas mileage and about 8 bucks on bags....... rest labor
  5. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Well actully it cost you more then that what about your overhead of running the mower and everthing else. I know at 25.00 an hour it would be costing me money to do that job now thats just me but i have to charge 35.00 an hour per man to make a profit.

Just my 02
  6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

what is a good profit margin?

Right now I'm between 15-20% profit. Thats after all over head, including paying myself $27/hr.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

About 33% is average in my neck of the woods.

If you are implementing the use of a machine to do the labor of an employee than you should bill that machine out as a laborer also for its portion of the job.

Afterall, if you didnt use the machine you would have spent how many hrs hand raking the turf areas to get them set for the mowing season???

Dont sell yourself short when it comes to laboring. Heres a few tips to remember about pricing:
    1. If they dont bark at your price, your too low.
    2. If they slam the door in your face, your too high.
    3. If they piss and moan about the bill, your in the ball park.

The bottom line is if you have charged enough to cover your costs, your insurances/licensing are up to date, the company was paid its share, and you have coin in your pockets and are happy ,,,
    Then yes it was a good price.

Just my .02
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a great way to sum it all up. I concur wholeheartedly!
    Once again Kutnkru is "on a roll" w/ his responses. Then again - he is very rarely off as his advice is noteworthy.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't feel guilty at all. I'm sure there will be some jobs that you'll underpriced. I'm sure everyone on this site has underpriced a job at least once. You did well to estimate the job at 16 hours and then get it done in 14. If you do quality work, then people don't mind paying a premium for it. Good luck.