Just used Olddebts.com

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Grits, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I had to use olddebts.com today. Did some landscaping for what was a good customer last year. I let her make payments on it. Payments were few and far between and eventually non-existent. I hated to do it, but she forced me to. I just ordered the letter package. If that doesn't work then I will have it reported to the credit bureaus. I will post how it works out using olddebts.com.

2. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

do you ahve to have a signed contract from customer to do this? i had one customer i had for years no problems and then all of a sudden no payment and no answers. stll lives there but can't get to pay.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No. But just remember that if you do harm to the customer's credit record and they sue you the burden of proof is on you to prove that they owed the money. I've used olddebts before and it is a very effective tool for getting your money.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Richard, what is the procedure used for "olddebts", and where does the benefit of use occur?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty much anybody can use them. They will do almost anything that you want them to from sending simple "collection" letters to calling the deadbeat up and bothering them. They will put the debt on the deadbeats credit record too if you like and inform them that you've done it.

You simply register with olddebts and the services are done "ala carte". You pay a small fee (add it to the bill) for each service that you decide to use.

The benefit of use depends on the deadbeat. Some deadbeats don't care about their credit and couldn't care less whether you report them or not. Other people are very concious of their credit record and getting a letter from a collection agency based in California really gets their attention.

Olddebts is a branch of a real collection agency but where they differ from a real collection agency is olddebts isn't interested in buying your bad debt and then keeping the money that they collect. It is designed for the very small business or the business that only occassionally gets a deadbeat and doesn't have a use for a full tilt collection agency.

6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I used them once on a $600.00 debt and the customer still did not pay.

7. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I used them 3 times If I remember correctly. I believe we got paid 2 out of 3 times.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. Nothing from it.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I hope you had it reported to the credit bureaus. If the first round of letters does not get them to pay, then report it. Any other business does this. Why not a lawn service company?

10. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I used it twice and nothing, I had them reported to the credit burea and that didnt do anything because the guy bought a new car and house after and this is not soneone who has cash, so peronally I think olddebts is BS. Write it off as loss's and never think about it again.