1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMFD92, Mar 15, 2005.

1. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

At first I thought I would be adding on a 48" ztr to my line up with my geardrive. Now I am pretty sure I am going to go with two hydros. Probably either Turf Tracer HPs or Bobcat floating decks or regular scags. Whatever ones I get I just want to know who on this site just uses walkbehinds in their mower lineup. Up here in the Northeast, the terrain varies a lot and accessibility is a big issue so I think I would be better off with a set of floating deck hydros with accelerator xls and a proslide. But am I the only one on this site without a ride on or ztr? Who else just strictly runs walkbehinds?
  2. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Your not the only one running strictly WB. That is all I run. 95% of my accounts it works just fine to using WB. A ztr would be nice on 2 or 3 accounts but cant justify the cost for the little bit of use it would receive.
  3. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

what walkbehinds do you run?
  4. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Right now we use strictly walk behinds. Bidding on a few large commercial accounts this year that if we get will be buying 1 ztr mower, probably a 60" dixie chopper. Could use it on probably 4 or 5 other accounts we have now besides the large commercial ones.
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We use walkbehinds exclusivley, we just added a Exmark 52"TTHP with a floating deck to our line up. We have been using a 48" Viking but due to growth we needed a little bit bigger mower and I hope the floating deck will give us a better cut. This year trying to get a Pro slide for it, heard great things on the Pro Slide. I would however like to see if a smaller rider like a Hustler Super Mini Z would do.
  6. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

I use only walk behinds. I started with a bunton gear drive 48 " which is now for back up. I have since added a gravely 17 HP Kawasaki Twin Floating 48" Deck w/ eclectic start.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We use two SCAG SWZU 48" Hydro WB w/17HP kawi's. Both have two wheeled jungle jims so we can go a little faster. One mower has the advantage deck with mulch kit the other has regular deck with high lifts for bagger/side discharge setups. Been running that way going on 5 years. Average lot size is 3/4 acre (including house, pools, etc.).

I've never owned another commercial mower so I can't compare it. However, it hold hills well, does well if needed to run in slick, wet grass (though we attempt to avoid if possible), is good at maneuvering around tree rings and other similar mulch beds, fit two back to back easily on a 14' single axle trailer (weight ~650#'s each), not much downtime in the four years (five on the 2000 model)...last year was first...lost a hydro pump...500 for service guy to replace...was really our fault...busted a spring on the trailer and mower came down hard around 35MPH...didn't notice it then but caused a crack in the frame...so I'm not chalking that repair up to SCAG...otherwise just a darn reliable machine...we keep up with routine maintenance.

We are attempting to increase our customer base this year. Depending on what we have signed up we will be purchasing a ZTR...leaning towards the SCAG but haven't ruled out TORO. No way in heck will I be trading in either of the WB's, still have a need on some lots with some tight spots, hills, and soft ground.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.
  8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I just gotta know, what makes the exmark walkbehinds easier to operate than a Toro belt drive T bar, or a Hustler H bar Hydro? I aim to Demo an exmark soon, but cant see how a "fixed position" method of operation can be more ergonomic.
  9. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

We run two Ferris mowers, 48 DD and 36 SD along with a Honda 21 hydro.