1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Just want to double check.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by newtostone, Apr 27, 2008.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Alright so I have a customer who is having some work done but I am just watching from a distance to see if the work is being done properly and also to see if what I have learned online is correct. But the Dry Stack wall will be about 3' and about 30' long. This wall should be built using a base of 10" level that, then dig 2' behind the wall and fill as its built up with clean stone? Am I on the right page here? Please help out looking to learn.
  2. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

from what i understand most of the time the base should extend a foot in front of the wall, and yes a big enough over dig to where you can back fill with clean stone and compact. drainage tile should run along the first course below grade.
    depending on the wall we usually dig out enough for a 6" base under the wall and 2 foot in width. usually we like to use a crushed #6 base. but it all depends on the size of the wall.
  3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking for the base. I just wasn't sure if any geo grid or anything else was to be used for tying the wall into the ground behind it?