just want to join the club (victum to lowballing)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Apr 28, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

short story

mowed an association there are currently only 4 homes (2 twin homes)

takes probably 30-40 minutes. for sure 40min with walkbehind

low baller came in at $9.50 per unit 38 for all

lets just say i was quite a bit higher than that.

manager of the association said he really wanted me to do it, that i did excellent work last year. but he was out voted by the other owners.

the real kicker here is that the guy that got the bid is from a town 15 min away. i don't see how he can make any money on this.

do you think i'm being too high with my pricing? or am i just simply a victim of "low balling"?

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

$9.50 a door, Jesus Thats low....Thats about a 1/4 of what I normally bid townhomes at.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear that - I got under bid this year on a 23 acre deal - It was one of my first big jobs, and I was always low on it anyway ($21 per acre - Wide open mostly, but had a few places to trim) I got "Substantially under bid evidently" However, I have driven by the place, and the trimming is not done, they can not drive straight. I am just waiting for the call to come back, and do it right, however, the price will go to my normal $25+ per acre.

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

he came in at $38.00 for 40 minutes of work? i don't think thats too low, atleast around here it isn't. what was your bid?

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, honestly that seems like a rather fair price... maybe $45 would be more ballpark though.

Around here on single family residentials some are lucky to get 30 bucks for an hour job really. Where I make my most "per hour" is a 12 home patio home block, and per house it figures WAY low on the scale, but as a whole I make out like a bandit!

6. grass disaster

anyone else think i'm high?

7. lawnwizards

depends on whether or not you've been smoking the wacky weed.:laugh: no seriously, i don't recall you ever giving your price. can't decide if you were too high or not without your price..:waving:

8. grass disaster

i sent you the quote

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Is it 4 separate invoice? If so then I would have been $20 a piece $80 total. If it's one invoice with one person to deal with then $45-50.

10. lawnwizards

i don't think your price is unreasonable. if thats the going rate in your area then you did get lowballed. i like soupy's response if they were separate.