Just wanted to introduce myself....somewhat new to the business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BryantLandscape, Oct 9, 2004.

1. BryantLandscape

BryantLandscape LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,
    I've been on here a couple months now reading as much as I could and have now registered to start posting. A little new to the business, been mowing lawns since I was 12 and did it part time when I was in the Air Force. For the first time I have decided to go at it full time at the ripe old age of 26. I have always loved the freedom of cutting grass, I was a jet mechanic in the Air Force and graduated from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and after all that I still believe maintaining lawns is a great profession.....Now the hard part begins, advertising and new customers....any tips would be great, I've got my business cards being made and the magnet for the sides of my truck. I also have made up some flyers which I'm not quite sure how to distribute, in the past I have rolled them up with a rubber band and put them on driveways, worked pretty well...thinking also about door hangars...I just bought a 6x12 trailer and an Exmark LazerZ 48" with a 21hp kawi, pretty excited to be able to get that and I still have all my Echo stuff from previously.
    Well I hope to be able to participate in this forum as much as all of you do and hopefully I can give some good advice every now and then....pass on any tips if you'd like. thanks
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

:waving: Hello and welome !!! Good luck and hope you do well! Just wonder'n, how hard would it be to put a R/R on my walker, would sure speed things up :cool: Anyway, best of Luck !!
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi BryantLandscape,

Welcome and congratulations!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Check and see if there's anyone in your area that distributes flyers. Its a time-consuming job. I hired two different guys to do this for me when I started. They insert your flyer with a bunch of others in a plastic sleeve for $25 per thousand. Not bad to get started, I got my first 30 or so customers this way, then it was referrals from there on out.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Good luck with your new business. You have to push your name the first year or so. Make sure to advertise heavily. Don't be afraid to hit the same neighborhood more than once after a couple of months with flyers.
  6. BryantLandscape

BryantLandscape LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone for being positive and welcoming me, it has been a hectic week to say the least, everything from my liability insurance to business cards, city licenses, advertising, theres a lot to starting a business but I'm positive and I love the work, picking up my new Exmark tomorrow so it should be a good day..should be fully operational next week..thanks again..